Akai Mpk88 - Midi Channel Footswitch and assignable botton S1

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've a midi keyboard that I use with Cubase and the sounds of N.I.
I'm trying to map keyboard buttons of my Akai to control various functions (play, rec, mixer knob, etc.) on cubase.
But i have the following problem: the sustain pedal, which I plugged into Footswitch 1 input, has the same midi channel as the assignable button "S1" I have on the keyboard, [midi channel 1A ctrl 64].

I would like to change the midi channel of the sustain pedal, but I don't know if it conflicts with the Kontakt of N.I. and I no longer recognize the sustain function; the alternative would be to change the midi channel of the button.
does anyone have the same problem as me or the solution for me?

another solution is: don't use that button. But it seems strange to me that a pedal inserted in the Footswitch 1 input has the exact same channel as a button on the keyboard ...

thank you,
Francesco

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The MIDI channel itself is only one part of the picture; the other part is the actual MIDI message being sent by each of the controls.

I'm not familiar with the MPK88, but its manual indicates that you can select which MIDI channels and MIDI messages are sent by which controls. There appears to be a Windows and Mac program that lets you edit and manage the presets (control setups) for the MPK88, so you might want to consider downloading that from Akai Professional's website to see if it can help you program your MPK88 more easily.

Reaction score
IMG-2025.JPG

Thank you.
I tried to change the Midi Channel of the S1 button (in the photo), from 1A to 9A, but I didn't solve it. Button S1 continues to activate sustain. Instead I would like to use it as a mute key for track 1 in the Cubase mixer.
I think I'll give up and just avoid using that button.

Ask a Question