Alesis Micron vs Novation Xio

Reaction score
I've had an Alesis Micron for about 2 years. I'm finding I don't really like it that much so I'm wondering what I could replace it with.

What I don't like: I really don't understand the way to program envelopes, filters etc. on the micron. I can tweak knobs when I'm using Reason in the computer, but I'd love to have a synth where I can do that in realtime. One could say the Micron is not "user-friendly".

The Micron seems difficult to play Live because it doesn't have dedicated performance patches like my primary keyboard, the Yamaha MM6. I would have trouble finding my patches when I need them. And, well, if a synth can't be played live in realtime, then who needs it, because if just I want to record in the studio I can use Reason, which has a whole buttload of awesome soft synths.

Also there really is no 'arpeggiator'. The 'setups' are cool but I can't see much use for them. I have an Electribe now and I can use that for drums & rhythms. I do like the Latch feature on the Micron.

Well someone suggested I look for a Novation 49 Xio Synth which also has the latch, and I haven't seen one close up so I don't know what else it has. Anyone know?

Laura

Reaction score
Oh and then I started looking at the Novation X-station & wondering "what would be the difference between a novationXio 49 and a novation X station 49?" Except the X station costs $200 more...and doesn't seem to have an arpeggiator!

Ask a Question