Alesis QS8 connect to iPad

Reaction score
QS8 connect to iPad
I have vintage QS8 like to connect iPad app.
I don't want to buy audio interface, I have vintage amplifier and speakers.
How to make this work? I have cable connect iPad3 to amp.

What cable to connect the QS8 to ipad? what adapter? which hole to plug in?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It looks like iRig is an audio connection-- you can use it to connect a guitar or other instrument to an iPad via a 1/2" or .35mm audio jack-- so the iPad is getting an audio-only signal, no MIDI at all.

The other options mentioned in this thread are for connecting a MIDI IN/OUT keyboard to an iPad via USB, so you'd be sending MIDI data rather than audio data.

Each has its advantages, depending on what you're wanting to do.

If you use an iRig, you can record the actual sounds coming from your keyboard and use the recordings as audio tracks in a DAW, but you won't be able to send MIDI data from the DAW to the keyboard to control the keyboard.

If you record just the MIDI data, there's no sound included so you can't play it back inside the DAW unless you use a VST instrument (which might not sound the same as the original keyboard) or play the MIDI data back through the original keyboard. But with a MIDI connection you can control the keyboard from the iPad.

Reaction score
If you simply want to use your keyboard as a midi controller for the iPad, SeaGtGruff has it right. You can run a midi in/out/USB cable to an iPad camera connection kit. I do this live - and have done it with Yamaha, Kurzweil and Korg keyboards, so no reason it won't work with your QS8. The whole set up is pretty inexpensive, no need to over complicate it.

Reaction score
1, Alesis tech support said only connect to Mac or PC, iPad does not work.

2, Alesis has weak support, won't consider IO dock.

3, iConnect can both connect iPad and Mac, can iRig connect both?

4, what is SeaGtGruff?

5, I want to record, edit, compose music, iConnect will work? Better than iRig?

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
4, what is SeaGtGruff?

That'd be me! :p Or rather, my online nom de plume. It's short for "Sea Goat Gruff," a combination of "Sea Goat" (Capricorn) and "Billy Goats Gruff."

Not sure why you can't connect to an iPad, unless it's because they don't have a driver for iOS. A MIDI-to-USB cable doesn't cost much, nor does the iPad Camera Connection Kit, so if you try it and it doesn't work you won't be out much money.

Ask a Question