All kinds of problems...

Reaction score
I have a Yamaha DXG200, use AcidPro7 and Mixcraft. I recently picked up a MIDI to USB cable from Amazon, nothing really special, just a basic one. I got it so I could finally use all of the VSTi's I've been gathering for the last several years instead of relying on the computer to play my orchestrations for me.

I'm having problems, though. The list - I'm constantly getting stuck notes; sometimes when I hit a key, instead of playing that note, a completely different note plays, sometimes from a completely different instrument; when I use the pitch wheel, it will trigger random notes AND instrument changes.

I've gone through all of the settings on my keyboard and in the DAWs that I use and everything seems to be to the right specifications.

I'm severely disappointed here. I mean, this was an expensive keyboard when I bought it, I have two unnecessarily expensive DAWs and several VSTi's that I generally didn't have the money for when I got them, but got them anyway, and I just can't find a solution for this.

Can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Google is not my friend at all. I've been searching for days for any kind of solution and I can't find jack.

Wes

Reaction score
Wait, the DGX200 is an expensive keyboard? They were only like $300-$400 when they came out. That's not even close to being expensive.

Anyhow, this reeks of a latency or driver issue, but it's impossible to troubleshoot from here. The first thing I would do is to try eliminating everything on your PC that you don't need until it works.

Wes

Reaction score
PS: Does the 200 have real MIDI ports? If so, then you should also be looking at your MIDI interface with possible suspicion.

Reaction score
It may not be expensive for you, but it's expensive for me. I can buy at least two decent guitars for that amount.

Thanks for your back-handed help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It may not be expensive for you, but it's expensive for me. I can buy at least two decent guitars for that amount.

Thanks for your back-handed help.

$300 gets you two decent guitars? Where? At Walmart? :D :D :D

Like I said, it's a latency problem. There's all kinds of possible solutions depending on your configuration, from buying a new interface and crossing your fingers, to installing jack audio and wading thru your registry to change specific values to eliminating 5000 pieces of crapware from your system tray to doing a vanilla install to buying an upgraded system to getting a mac.

There's simply way too many variables involved in troubleshooting latency for us to give any constructive advice. Some solutions are OS dependent and others depend on how comfortable you are with rooting around in the control panel and the system registry.

Either way, we're not going to be able to fix the problem for you unless you wanna spend $1400 and buy a mac. Otherwise if you want a budget, DIY solution you're just gonna have to bite the bullet and read thru 200 Google hits til you find out what works for you.

So, Yes, Google is not only your best friend, it's your ONLY friend :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just for openers.

What are your system specs?

What exact OS and what service pack are you using?

How are you fixed for malware and crapware?

How old is the system and when did you do your last vanilla install?

Reaction score
I would also suggest either an overall latency problem (pretty common) OR a problem with the driver(s) for your 'USB-MIDI' adapter (perhaps even more likely). If you're running any version of Windows and you used the MS drivers for that adapter, you have a built-in problem - even if the adapter claims to be 'class compliant' (almost all of them do). I know this from recent personal experience. If - in addition to that - you got one of the low-end adapters (suggested by the 'basic' adjective you used to describe it), you might have a completely unusable setup.

We are actually here to help if we can, so post some details. ;)

Reaction score
RonE has hit on the situation that lots of guys run into with the generic USB midi devices.
#1 action is to check the drivers. If that doesn't help, it's probably the device it's self. If you're using a PC tower and it has available PCI slots, look for a used M-Audio 24-96 sound card with midi and install it. That should cure it and give you very good audio quality as well. Don

Reaction score
Or just pickup an M-Audio MidiSport. They're under fifty bucks, give you two MIDI ports, plug into USB and come with M-Audio drivers. Be aware - with regard to the Audiophile 2496 card, you will have to have an older PC for the card to work. I just sold a 2496 card because my newer PC wouldn't support it (the newer PC's have a different spec for the PCI bus!).

Reaction score
Since it is cost sensitive for the OP, and if the poster is using an older PC with a PCI lot, I saw a 2496 on Ebay for $40. Just offering a low cost idea which is known to be stable, if his computer situation applies. Don

Ask a Question