Aloha from Hawaii

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I was just here lurking . . . which I do on occasion. And, I noticed that I actually joined the forums here back at the end of July in 2015 because I had a question about an el cheapo keyboard I had picked up. I got quick, accurate, friendly responses from members here and went on my merry way.

On reflection . . . how rude! (Of me! :oops:)

I didn't even bother to introduce myself or seek a closer bond with what are obviously some talented, helpful folks here. I'll try to correct that today.

My name is Don. I generally go by OldDude anywhere I hang out on the web. I'm a retired U.S. Air Force enlisted guy (journalist) and retired again senior computer programmer and analyst for Blue Cross in Hawaii dealing mostly with data warehousing. I've played music for around 60 years now -- but, mostly tinkered. I've primarily been a guitar player (finger picker) throughout that time, but taught myself some keys back in the 80's with a Roland Juno-106 I picked up from Japan (a domestic model) while I was stationed in Korea.

I'm primarily an octave-bass, block chords player who usually plays off of simple lead sheets with lyrics and guitar chords. I don't read music, per se.

I'm just a hobbyist, but I love music and love playing (both instruments). Since retirement, I been trying to team up with a music buddy or two to hang out together, chit-chat, play some tunes and maybe do a little home recording. I'm not too interested in playing out. Too much effort lugging gear, etc. Haven't had much luck so far. Most young folks want to be a rock star, middle-aged folks want to work and earn money from it, and older folks don't bother much. I am part of a 'band' who gets together once a week at a rented rehearsal hall in town to practice. We're slowly building play sets to gig, but are far from ready to do that. We all play okay and all sing mediocre. But the others all still have day jobs and busy lives, so we're not very consistent on having a quorum to practice.

That's more than anyone here wanted to know . . . but, I'm old and talkative. I'll try to drop by more often and look in and see if I can actually contribute in some way to this very nice community. Thanks for your time.

If there's anyone here who lives on Oahu in Hawaii that wants to get together and and check out vibe match, give me a nudge.

Aloha,

OldDude

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Better late than never Don...

I never really bothered to introduce myself properly here as well, but I'm guessing enough of my personality and likes and dislikes have filtered thru the cracks in my postings over the past few years that at this point it would be redundant.

One thing that really oils our gears around here though, is participation. Music is always fodder for good conversation but sometimes we can get going about almost any topic.

This is an open invitation to anyone reading this. If you see anything you have an opinion or even a brain fart about, post it and start up some dialogue.

Your karma will thank you for it... :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Welcome, OldDude, from another old dude who is also just a hobbyist!

Ask a Question