Am I missing something?.....

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Im a little curious about something. I have to start by stating I am really not up to speed on the new keyboard technology as far as controllers go. Im old school and I like to be surrounded by keyboards, not software and modules. So my question is this. As far as having a home studio, what are the benefits of having a keyboard controller hooked up to a computer that is hooked up to an interface and so on...as opposed to just having a workstation?

I see a lot of threads where people are having trouble with their interface or having problems with their computers in the recording process. I do ALL of my music on my Motif. Easy as pie. Am I really limiting my self by doing this? Is there a world of technology that I am missing? Or is it just cheaper to go the controller route?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The only real benefit to using a controller with a computer instead of a workstation is that it's obsolescence proof. Which is to say, whenever there's a major upgrade in sounds it's usually just a matter of updating the software.

That being said however, your motif can perform the exact same function as a controller with your computer and the right software so you enjoy the best of both worlds.

And you are correct when you mention the host of problems people have with software setups including latency and slow CPUs and sometimes the computer just ain't fast enough to handle multiple tracks running multiple VSTis simultaneously.

Anyway, you are in a position to be able to experiment with various DAWs and VSTis using your Motif as both controller and as a hardware synth and see for yourself which one better suits your needs.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question