Amateur needs info

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm thinking of buying a modx8 but can't find out if it will do what I need it to. I want to write/download midi files on my computer and save them to a usb stick to play on the keyboard. These would be backing tracks (ie drums and bass) that I want to play over. Will the modx8 play them off usb stick and allow me to play whatever sound I choose while they are playing. I've asked people in the music shop and no one can tell me. Sorry if this is basics stuff but I only understand the black and white keys not the buttons etc.
Thanks

Reaction score
Welcome.

I do not have much Yamaha experience but we do have a few forum members who a vastly more knowledgeable that I and no doubt they will respond in more detail.

Just had a look through the manual and it is pretty basic with nothing specific that I can find it does go through recording MIDI using the MODX.

You could load a MIDI file onto a USB stick and go to the music store and try to play it.

Reaction score
That's an idea Boggles. They had a usb in the shop yesterday with songs on it but they couldn't figure out how to play it. Ill have to figure that out and then go back in and try. Thanks

Reaction score
Ther manual is freely available to download, you do not need to registerto get it.

It may help.

Now if when you go to the music store it does not work try it in other keyboards. When you have finished the test on other keyboards go back to the MODX insert the USB STICK into it, Format it then take it home and put the MIDI file back on the USB stick and try it again in the music store. Sometimes USB stick only work correctly if the bare formatted in the host keyboard and they have the right folder structure. If there is a folder structure I would tend to put the MIDI file into each folder/subfolder if an obvious one is not there.

Certainly I can import midi files but my keyboard is of a completely different type to the MODX.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks again biggles. I'll download the manual although the language is usually way beyond me. I found a YouTube clip on how play/rec with usb stick. He shows how to play a wav file from usb. I haven't watched it properly yet ( t's in French with sub titles) but if it plays a wav file should it play a midi file?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually I'm no expert on Yamaha products but I believe the MODX doesn't have any inbuilt sequencer at all. It's marketed as a performance synth and not as a workstation.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary. I don't want to do any editing on the keys. I just want it to play midi files from a usb stick while I play. Is that solely the job of a workstation then. I could get something like an s775 but I want the piano size and touch. Thanks for the input.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To clarify, a MIDI sequencer of some type is required to play MIDI files on a keyboard. There may or may not be a dedicated MIDI player on the MODX but I'm pretty sure there's no full blown sequencer. Actually even a MIDI player would require some sort of Sequencer functionality in order to select voices for MIDI playback.

Workstations and arrangers generally have this capability.

However, you could make it work with almost any keyboard if you are willing to add a laptop or an iPad to the equation to sequence the MIDI playback and play back thru the USB or MIDI connection to the keyboard.

Even the MODX would be capable with that configuration.,

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary I just did some checking and seems there is a sequencer on board but it's very limited if I'm understanding the terminology correctly

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There are step sequencers and there are song sequencers.

Step sequencers record and play short 4, 8, 16, or 32 bar loops for accompaniment while song sequencers can record and play an entire song.

And some keyboards have a simple playback sequencer for playing back MIDI files directly from a thumb drive.

These are all the types of MIDI sequencers out there.

Like I said earlier, it's very easy to load up a MIDI player or sequencer on a laptop or iPad and play it back thru almost any keyboard.

If having this ability is a dealbreaker for you then I'd suggest investigating other brands of keyboards.

For instance my Roland Juno DS88 can import WAV samples and MP3 songs and play them back directly. It also has a step sequencer. If I need MIDI playback however, then I have to fire up the computer and play and sequence MIDI files using the computer.

I believe the Roland FA08 has an onboard Song Sequencer as does the newly released Kurrzweil PC4 and I think the Korg Krome has one as well.

If this is a dealbreaker then I'd suggest taking a look at those models.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ya Gary I'm starting to look at workstations now. Just reading up on korg ex88. It has usb and I presume that's just to link to a computer, but it has and sd card slot for storing data. Would i be right in thinking my midifiles could be stored and played from the sd card? I hope I'm not being a nuisance. This is all totally new to me

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You'll have to check the specs on each one to see what sort of flash media can be attached and what sorts of media files can be played back.

Your best bet is to look at the youtube demos of each model for clues and download and read the manuals if you don't find the answers you need.

Nobody can be familiar with every make and model of keyboard ever made and what their specific capabilities are.

Like it or not, this comes down to RTFM for every unit you are interested in.

They are available on the web as PDFs for just about every keyboard ever sold.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you are interesed in a Korg then they produce a series of tutorial videos on each aspect of their Keyboards, this is the first one for the Krome EX

Reaction score
You'll have to check the specs on each one to see what sort of flash media can be attached and what sorts of media files can be played back.

Your best bet is to look at the youtube demos of each model for clues and download and read the manuals if you don't find the answers you need.

Nobody can be familiar with every make and model of keyboard ever made and what their specific capabilities are.

Like it or not, this comes down to RTFM for every unit you are interested in.

They are available on the web as PDFs for just about every keyboard ever sold.

Gary ;)
The computer idea is sounding better by the minute. Thanks for all the help Gary

Ask a Question