Ambient MIDI Controller for a Church

Reaction score
If you can figure this one out, then you're truly a pro....:)

My church has an old but useful keyboard (Peveay DPM C8X) and wants to have ambient sounds similar to Hillsong or Jesus Culture (such as in the intro to the posted link). You know, the "air-y and heavenly sound" that fills dead noise.

I'm willing to spend 200+ on a midi controller for our old keyboard, but are their any midi controllers that do ambient sounds like in hillsongs or Jesus Culture?

If you can answer this question, I would be in tears...partly cuz I don't know much about keyboards but love the sound to death.

Reaction score
Hello jarody - clicked this thread because I thought it was about some kind of music installation piece - it's not but I'm here now.

The Youtube link won't play for me (says there are copyright issues in my country) - and I've never heard of Hillsong or Jesus Culture.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/mar94/peaveydpmc8.html

Here's a link to a review of the keyboard you're talking about (a big beast of a keyboard it seems).

Hopefully someone from the CCM scene will repond. If not and I think back to the 80s when I got some work with a couple of heavy metal bands - is it the sound that us keyboard players were asked to do when the drums stopped, the stage lights when green and the guitar player switched off his distorion pedal and fumbled E minor?

In that case it's a swooshy breathy Enya-esque pad and I'll bet you'll be able to coax a noise like that from just about anything with a midi in.

Reaction score
hey!!!

im not really familiar with that keyboard but if i had to guess i would say find a thing string patch (maybe slightly synthy sounding) lower the cutoff add a very slight chours and a extreamly subtle tremolo.

it may also be worth noting that Jesus culture backtracks quite a bit and also that intro your talking about is a keyboard pad and a guitar swelling in and out.

i hope that helps!

Reaction score
Hi Burn

I think it's a soundless controller so they'll need something to midi it up to.

I wondered if you'd know the band. If you can hear the clip is it just a pad and a swell sound?

Their copyright people must be on the ball. It won't play here in the UK. I heard a number of established artists had employed a team that do Youtube sweeps daily.

There's no Van Morrison on there - but I didn't know that these CCM guys would be big enough to worry about lost revenue streams.

Ask a Question