Amp query

Reaction score
I did mention a Yamaha Stagepass in a prior post, do include this in your research.

PMT stock them at £700 and they are stereo c340W per channel and they include a mixer which slots into the back of one of the speakers. I regularly listen to the sound from one of these units at a monthly even I go to and it is impressive and I also listened to another at A&C Hamiltons music store in Preston where they used it for keys.

Reaction score
I have several keyboard amps, KC550, Yorkville (older amp), Peavey, Spacestation, etc. Wanted a better stage monitor (which I think is a key question for you to ask yourself - that is, what is it I want as a result?) since my keys are always run to the house. Decided to go PA configuration and found that anything over 10" in the sub introduced entirely too much low end noise on a stage with guitars and bass and kick drum. I tried out 12" EVs from my smaller PA and though they sound great, they were just too boomy (these were passive so required an amp, as well). I had to knock the lows back with additional EQ. I bought powered little speakers and they're great. I aim them somewhat at me and not the audience (when in rock band) and get the sound I want without slamming band or audience. I greatly prefer the stereo since the pianos are sampled that way and it absolutely matters in terms of the presence, which means I can use less volume than with my mono options, like the Roland amp and others listed above. Plus, I play an organ in the same mix and the stereo is needed, IMO. That's a lot of gibberish, perhaps, but just thought I'd add my two cents.

Reaction score
Thanks David. It looks like a PA is going to be the way forward for my set up (bass and keys). I have checked out the Yamaha Stagepas that Biggles recommended and it does look good. I'll have a poke around when I go to PMT...

Reaction score
First off I apologise if (and I'm sure it has) this has been asked a million times, but I need recommendations for a gigging amp. I am soon (hopefully!) going to be getting a Vox Continental 61 or a Nord Electro 5 or 6 D. I currently have a Roland KC110 stereo amp which is good but not enough sound for anything larger than a small room. I can't afford one of the larger KC stereo amps as they are stupid prices.

Do I need a stereo amp? I will be mainly using the Vox and Farfisa emulations on the board I end up with so would I really benefit from a stereo one?

Also I have heard that bass amps are a very good substitute as you can get more bang for your buck. Is this true, or an old wives tale?

Thanks

I play a Roland GX 700 & Hammond SK II. I tried an assortment of combo amps & speakers & narrowed it down to either Yamaha powered DXR 12's (thinking stronger lower end) & the Yamaha Stagepass PA w 700 watts..
I found the Yamaha Stagepass (cost approx $650.00,) was clearer with 10" speakers & stereo. Also with 8 inputs I could adjust tone / effects individually. With many venues having different set ups & limited monitor set ups I wanted to be sure to hear myself & not rely on sound tech adjusting. When going into the venue's PA I send "Monitor Line " out to house PA while using "Main out" for monitoring. If they want direct out I use Left Mono from each keyboard into a stereo DI box (piano left/ organ rt) to House PA & Rt channel on each keyboard to Stagepass & can control my monitoring independent;y from House. I haven't regretted this setup at all.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question