Amplification

Reaction score
I'm looking for recommendations to amplify my roland juno and my yamaha sy85. I'm currently using a peavey kb60 that has a 12 an a small horn. It's got 50 watts and occasionally has a loud hissing noise at time. It's also 50lbs and I'd like to get something lighter. I'd like to get rid of it. I'd like more power and using it for small to medium gigs.

I was thinking of a light powered speaker (15 w/horn). I want something lightweight to carry up and down our flights of stairs. Evenually getting another for stereo effect and a small mixer. Our bass player has a Carvin speaker that sounds nice with the keys.

Any recommendations?

Steve

Reaction score
I was skeptical of any keyboard amp that didn't say Roland on it. I loved their simplicity, and durable construction. I could use their amps as a vocal monitor too, and could crank it pretty high until i started to get mic feedback.

I researched and researched amps for my re-vamped rig, and bought a Traynor K4. Look up this amp....it's a beast.

I priced it all around and found a good price, and got MUSIC 123 to price match on it. Saved me $700.

Awesome, awesome amp. Very Present...not punchy, just a big complete sound. I use the tubes about as much or more than the solid state, also.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Thanks Drew,

Appreicate the feedback. Unfortunately I need to go much lighter and much less expensive. I have heard that those Traynors are top of the line also.

Steve

Reaction score
What's your budget?

Lighter - active speakers. You might still need that little mixer you mentioned as they don't all have two inputs.

Less expensive - don't know what you've seen but here are a few that do a good to great job on keyboards:

Mackie Thump 12A (less expensive than K4)
RCF310A
EVZXA1
QSCK8 (about as much as I'd pay for a keyboard combo substitute)

You can go more expensive and get bigger speakers in the ranges above (e.g, QSC K10).

Best value - see if there's somewhere near you that does the Mackie range.

My personal recommendation - the EV. It has two inputs. One is XLR with a trim pot - it's fine. Feed it with the signal from a DI.

The team in my nearest music shop like the (Italian made) RCFs for quality and reliability.

Lots of posters on the (US) Keyboard Mag forum love the QSCs. The K8 is lightest. The K10 can be placed on its side like a monitor (as well as pole mounted).

All are well below the weight you're carrying around now.

Behringer get a bad rep on most online forums but I haven't had any issues. If someone does their range near you they're worth a try. Maybe take one of your keyboards in so you can make a proper comparison. If you've transport and there's easy parking take the combo amp too.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Thanks goz211,

My price range is roughly $350.00, so I think the Mackie might be the best bet for me. I think the powered Carvin speaker would be similar also and it does have two inputs, two volumes and but one equalizer. It may be a little more and it's only sold from their store (CA, US) or website. Either that or the Mackie.

I might be able to do without a mixer for a while, since there are two separate volume controls. You mentioned and a 12". I was borrowing one with a 15" and horn, but maybe I don't need something that big. We aren't playing in large places.

I'm still trying to get my Yamaha Sy85 up and running again. The floppy drive isn't working and I need to reload my factory sounds into it. I may replace the drive when my other options fail to get it working again.

Thanks again,

Steve

Reaction score
Mackie Thump Series

FYI
The Mackie Thump series only has a single balanced input (XLR) per cabinet, no 1/4"
inputs. For the cost, they are a decent solution for keyboard monitors. I have 2 of the TH15A which have a lot of bottom, but I roll the lows back on my mixer and the cabinet 3 way EQ. (I got the 15's because also wanted cabinets that can double as a small PA for jams and practices.) Don

Reaction score
Thanks for the info B3maniac.Using two cabinets - I assume your playing in stereo? I know my keyboards sound much better in my stereo headphones. When playing out in a larger venue do you run your keyboard PA into the system PA. I'm not too sure how that works.

Also must be nice playing a B3.

Reaction score
I always run mono live but your question about connecting to the PA - google DI box. 1/4 inch out of keyboard into DI, then two cables coming out of the DI - one (1/4 inch) to your keyboard combo amp or powered speaker, the other (on XLR) to the PA. Adjusting the volume on your combo won't affect what's going to the PA.

We keyboard players drive sound engineers nuts when the volume goes up and down all the time as we switch sounds. Try and program volumes in advance and leave the volume on the keyboard alone. As the guys in the band start cranking it up - turn up your monitor to hear yourself better - let the sound guys sort out what's coming out through the PA.

I have an inexpensive passive DI from Behringer (and a spare) in my gig bag but use whatever they give me.

IMO passive DIs are best for keyboards.

Mine have a ground lift switch too - can be very useful to get rid of that annoying buzz.

You'll need a DI for each keyboard. Two (or a stereo DI) if you want to run in stereo.

Reaction score
Thanks for the info goz211,

I've never heard of that - being more inexperienced especially playing out. It makes perfect sense to keep my sounds on the same level (pre programing them) so not to be turning up the board and just turning up the monitor, etc. Also not getting into the bass players way or the sound guy. I'll look into a DI box.

Great information, Thanks again.

Reaction score
This is a rehash of something I posted to a thread in the "general" forum last night. Sorry for that, but hoping to give some good info to a colleague in my backyard, as it were...

Another satisfied Traynor K4 owner here but I realize that is not an option for you financially . . . I nonetheless would like to weigh in with a few thoughts.

As has also been pointed out, Behringers do get slammed, but when times were tough, money scarce, and my old workhorse (an old TOA) blew up on me, I reluctantly bought one (K3000FX) and it kept me gigging for 3 years.

When I got my Traynor K4, the Behringer was retired to our rehearsal room and still gives good service; I have no doubt that Heaven forbid I developed a problem with the K4, "old reliable" as unglamorous as it may be, would save the day.

I had played a couple of gigs thru a borrowed KC500 while I scraped some money together to get something - anything - to put on the back line. When I demo'd the Behringer hooked up to my stage piano, I was astonished at how much better than the Roland it sounded out of the box.

I'd certainly buy another Behringer before I'd get another Roland. As an acquantance of mine is fond of saying, "the only thing I'd run through a Roland KC amp is a chainsaw". But seriously folks . . .

That said, remember this: I subscribe to the belief (as do many) that NO self contained KB amp will ever beat a mixer and a pair of good quality powered speakers - technically a small PA.

But for me, it's not an option. I wish it were.:( Most of our venues just aren't big enough to justify the extra expense, hauling, or resulting sciatica of a "second PA".

At the one venue we play with an honest-to-goodness stage, everybody mics up everything. I use the Traynor in front of me as a monitor wedge. I run two XLRs from its self-contained DI to the PA mixer, set the gain on the channels, and I'm good to go. Incidentally, the big Behringer has the same capability.

At the smaller venues, the K4 more than holds its own . . . I can blow away even the most recalcitrant guitarist with the volume at 7 and each channel gain set at 6.

Something I admittedly could NOT do with the "Behr". It does lose clarity as you get towards maxing it out. Thankfully I seldom have to these days.:D

FWIW, I've heard some pretty nice Hartkes as well. Never used one.

As the saying goes, your mileage may vary . . .

Reaction score
Thanks EJfan,

I think I'm leaning more toward the powered speaker and a small mixer. I like the information about the di box and having my speaker act as a monitor I can control.

I'm thinking of a Carvin powered speaker, probably with a 12" and a horn. I've borrowed the one with a 15" and it's got alot of power, but I'm thinking that a 12" would be enough. It's a little more than a Behringer but the quality may be a bit better quality.

Ask a Question