Amps

Reaction score
This is getting a bit odd now, plodding on a keyboard trying to get my r/h fingers to work separately and not hearing anything too.

Need to invest in some headphones or an amp, don't want to pay a lot just yet until i get some time under my belt

Any ideas? used will be ok, would a guitar amp be ok?

(I need some electric shock therapy aswell! .. Anyone? ..... to stop my 3rd and 4th fingers moving together)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Headphones are far cheaper than almost every amp. Even if you get an amp, if you love your family, roommates, and neighbors, you should get a set of headphones.

As for amps, do NOT get a guitar amp. By their very design, they do not have a broad (from the bottom of the bass notes to the top of your hearing) frequency response, and even where they do sound they're not flat. Instead, they emphasize certain frequencies and deemphasize other frequencies in order to make the guitar sound good. Heck, there's even distortion built into a lot of guitar amps. (Ever heard of the Marshal sound?)

An all in one keyboard amp or a full range bass amp will give you a much better sound. However, unless you're playing out, you may not want to pay the extra money for an amp. Amps are designed to be tossed into the back of a van and survive. You pay for that ruggedness, both in cost and in weight.

If you're just playing at home, look for either decent full range powered speakers OR separate speakers and power amp.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
You bought the Korg M1 if I remember correctly.
I had not realised it did not have built in speakers. That would be a bitch! I could not bear that plunking without sound. You need to go buy yourself some headphones immediately. Just get some cheap ones at least whilst you are practicing until you can sort out a better quality later on.
I think the guitar amp idea is a No No!
Sacrilege!
I know his because others here (the clever techos) have mentioned it.

As for the finger coordination, just keep up the practice and it will come. Patience and perseverance.
Ray

Reaction score
Headphones are great for practicing, obviously you're going to need an amp for rehearsing with others and performing. Some things to consider when getting headphones: make sure the chord is good and long. Nothing is worse than when you're in the middle of playing, and the cable is so short it gets in your way of your hands. Most cheap consumer headphones are designed to go from your iPhone to your head, so like 3-4ft. even 6ft can be surprisingly short. I'd find one with a full 10ft. Also, I recommend getting a decent pair with closed, over-ear cups (Circumaural) that block out outside sound. For long periods of playing, they're actually safer on your ears because you don't have to turn up as loud to drown out outside sound... they're also more comfortable.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
You bought the Korg M1 if I remember correctly.
I had not realised it did not have built in speakers. That would be a bitch!

Most professional level keyboards (other than arrangers) do not have built in speakers. Home level keyboards DO have built in speakers.

Ask a Question