Analog Modellers

Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting one of these for some time, mostly to be able to manipulate sounds on the fly without spending hours assigning controllers in menus.

I've been looking at things like the SH-201 and JP8000, but I don't have much experience with these things so I'd appreciate any opinions you guys have.

I'd be looking for something with:
~61 full size keys (give or take an octave)
As many knobs and sliders as possible
Other controllers like ribbons not essential, but welcome

I'd be looking to spend no more than £500 (~$700)

Thanks!

Reaction score
I've seen the SH201 and despite it's relatively low cost, it's really a pretty decent unit. The build quality is a wee bit suspect from a long term durability standpoint (lots of plastic), but its sonic bang for the buck is really good.

No experience with the JP8000, so I can't comment there.

The Korg MS2000 is also a pretty powerful rig for the money and there are lots of them on the used market.

On the other end of the spectrum, you've got the Access Virus line from the relatively inexpensive Snow up to the Ti (which has a desktop, 37key, and 61 key versions). Some of the older access Virus A, B and C's are still very desirable and Access continually supports these units with OS and patch updates. These models are certainly in your price range as well.

I have the Virus Ti and can recommend this as a very serious machine and it's oscillators and filters rival the best in class anywhere.

The downside, new Virus Tis are close to $2800.00, but it's worth every penny. With the new release of the TI mkii, the original TI prices are dropping, and the cool thing is the 3.0 OS and firmware update can bring an original virus TI right up to Mkii status, with the exception of a couple of small features.

Anyway, if you're in the market for something serious, check out the Access line.

Here's their website.

http://www.access-music.de/index.php4

Happy Hunting

Ask a Question