Andy Rourke, bassist for the Smiths, dies aged 59

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

Andy Rourke, the bassist for indie legends the Smiths, has died aged 59.

The news was announced by guitarist Johnny Marr on social media, who wrote: “It is with deep sadness that we announce the passing of Andy Rourke after a lengthy illness with pancreatic cancer. Andy will be remembered as a kind and beautiful soul by those who knew him and as a supremely gifted musician by music fans. We request privacy at this sad time.”

Rourke played on the Smiths’ classic back catalogue including hits such as This Charming Man and There Is a Light That Never Goes Out – both classic examples of his often boldly melodic style – as well as on solo songs for frontman Morrissey after the group disbanded.

Morrissey also paid tribute, writing: “He will never die as long as his music is heard. He didn’t ever know his own power, and nothing that he played had been played by someone else. His distinction was so terrific and unconventional and he proved it could be done. He was also very, very funny and very happy, and post-Smiths, he kept a steady identity – never any manufactured moves. I suppose, at the end of it all, we hope to feel that we were valued. Andy need not worry about that.”

Rourke also played in the supergroup Freebass with two other celebrated Mancunian bass guitarists, New Order’s Peter Hook and the Stone Roses’ Mani, and recorded with Sinéad O’Connor, the Pretenders, Ian Brown and was in the group DARK with the Cranberries vocalist Dolores O’Riordan.

...snip...

Their music got me through some hard times in the 80's and 90's.

Another great creative mind bites the dust.

RIP Andy Rourke...

Gary :(

Reaction score
It is always sad when anyone passes away so young.

Tallented instrumentalists in the band, although I was never a fan of Morrissey’s vocal style (dirge central). The Smiths formed in ‘82 in Manchester, one of the greatest Cities in England (Wife is Mancunian and I worked there for 12 years).

This years it was been one after the other, actor Ray Stephenson also passed this week at only 58, stared in Thor, Star Wars and many TV series, 2023 is not a good year.

Ask a Question