Anger Management at my Family

Reaction score
Zilch to do with Music.

I have been researching my Family Tree for the last 10 years and have about 4000 people listed in it.

Then a few years ago we did the DNA test and that has opened up quite a few surprizes.

One is that I seem to have a Cousin we never knew existed but she has not built a Family Tree and has not been on Ancestry for over a year and hence has not responded to messaages.

I found what may well be her on social media but she is not responding there either.

I am exacerbated searching under rock after rock trying to find out just which of my ancestors is her parent.

Frustration levels are so high I may even have to open a bottle or two.

Rant over

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
200 years from now nobody will remember what I did for a living. I fact I'm not even certain of that now :) My ancestors were probably all pig farmers and cannon fodder. Honestly I don't see the point of it now. :(

If your entire family tree hasn't branched out of the UK in the past 1000 years there's probably a royal bastard in there somewhere, thanks to Prima Noctae. Possibly a few rape victims from colonial days. Do you really care if you are number 698,783 in the line of succession for the throne?

To be honest I've never really understood why modern Brits are so hung up on the class system and the horrible human rights abuses it has supported in the past.

Better off dead, buried and forgotten if you ask me.

In the cosmic scheme of things we all came from Stardust Col and to Stardust shall we return. :cool:

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, a few words about those DNA tests that everyone goes for these days.

1) Did you read the fine print of the contract before you signed on the dotted line? They now OWN your genetic material, to exploit in perpetuity in whatever Frankenstinian experiments they see fit to perform.

2) Doesn't the government have enough facial recognition and paper trails to invade your privacy already? Now your very DNA can be placed at the scene of whatever horror show transpires next. :p

Gary,

keeping his DNA to himself... ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW. There's an enormous chance that one of my ancestors was inseminated by Genghis Khan.

So there's a likely shot that I have a royal bastard in my bloodline as well as every other shaved ape on the planet if you go far enough back.

Go back more than 200 years and these are people you wouldn't want to know. People never traveled more than 50 miles beyond their village in their lifetime and family trees looked more like a stalk of wheat than a spreading oak.

Those who ignore history may be destined to repeat it, but in the interests of family harmony sometimes it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Zilch to do with Music.

I have been researching my Family Tree for the last 10 years and have about 4000 people listed in it.

Then a few years ago we did the DNA test and that has opened up quite a few surprizes.

One is that I seem to have a Cousin we never knew existed but she has not built a Family Tree and has not been on Ancestry for over a year and hence has not responded to messaages.

I found what may well be her on social media but she is not responding there either.

I am exacerbated searching under rock after rock trying to find out just which of my ancestors is her parent.

Frustration levels are so high I may even have to open a bottle or two.

Rant over
I wonder if perhaps she was adopted and doesn't want to accept that she also has "other family'? That is not uncommon. Relax and enjoy those bottles. Don

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
They say that us Aussies are decendants of British convicts.
They were all sent out here on fleets in The Late 18th century to make our roads and rail lines etc. . Then they got hanged for the crimes they committed in England.
My ancestors could have been murderers and rapists.
Ray

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They were all sent out here on fleets in The Late 18th century to make our roads and rail lines etc. . Then they got hanged for the crimes they committed in England.
Ray

Exactly. The crimes and achievements of our ancestors are totally irrelevant. All that matters is WHO WE ARE TODAY.

The only ones who give a damn about where they came from are the trust fund babies and the privileged few who keep their idiotic traditions alive.

The only real difference between them and us is that their families started stealing long before ours did. :p

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As I understand it, I'm descended from Adam and Eve. You can't get any more famous than that!

@happyrat1, if any of your relatives got their DNA tested then you might potentially find yourself the subject of a criminal investigation in which the criminal's DNA is a close match to one of your relative's DNA, thereby making you and your relatives potential suspects. You can keep your own DNA to yourself, but you can't make your bozo relatives keep their DNA to themselves.

Reaction score
Ray
The assisted passage was in place quite a long time ago and those that set up farms and business had the convicts working for them as indentured serfs for the term of their sentance.

Finding your own family history and origins can be a rewarding activity and for me it found me my two Oz Cousins who had been adopted, so yes it has been worthwhile for me.

One of my relatives was sentenced to death, it was commuted to transportation then after 15 years he was pardoned on the condition that he does not leave Oz. Luckily for me this happened after he had fathered his offspring. By the way, his crime, burglary.

150 years ago of my Great Great Grandparents one was a shoemaker, another a joiner the rest illiterate jobbing farm labourers. Move back another 150 years and it was even more pronounced, farm workers, eeking out a living doing whatever they could. Life was pretty well hand to mouth and even then the Landowner and Landlord wanted more than their pound of flesh.

Reaction score
Col, I hope your cousin situation will change and that you will ultimately find the family connection. I live in the Us , and my surname is Smith (of English descent). We can only trace my family line arriving in this area just prior to 1752. My ancestor "Thomas Smith" arrived here and in 1752 petitioned the colony council for a grant of land "50 acres for each on the 11 persons in his household". We have no known family tree connections earlier to that point. (And, I'm not about to sign away rights to my DNA to anyone.) So I'm "up against a wall" of my own making which blocks getting more family history. I'm OK with thinking that you and the other regulars here are my distant cousins and leave it at that. Don

3dc

Reaction score
1603697375971.png

You amateurs! :D

I am coming from a line of mythical warriors. Simple but very strong people. We fought the mighty Persians, Mongols, Turks, Nazi Germans and Italians. It was never a good idea to enter our land without invitation. My grand, grand, grand dad killed a bear with an axe! True story! :cool:
No royal titles unfortunately although I could buy one for 50 bucks. I am the last of them! My kids are too much in PC games and Instagram these days. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have a Zoom meeting tomorrow of our Family History Group and the subject is Black Sheep.

I thought that I would use the relation who was transported to Oz as my presentation to the Group.

My oh my what a character he turned out to be.

Sentenced to Death for Larceny, commuted to 18 months, barely out before another crime and this time another jail sentence.

Then the burglary crime and a second Death sentence and this time was the transportation to Oz happened but not before he spent a couple of yes onboard a rotting Hulk Prison Ship on the River Thames.

In Oz he was assigned to work on the Ogilvie Farm in New South Wales just NW of what is now Newcastle.

He served out his time and was Conditionally Pardoned but did he change his was No. More Court appearances continued until he found a Wife and she settled him down.

Such is a joy of learning about your family, it brings your own History to life.

As for my mystery Cousin, I am still none the wiser finding who she is, it does get better in that five other DNA matches to me have now all been linked to each other. Hence the frustration continues.

Ask a Question