Another USB styles query . .

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Rambling on . .

I decided to learn to play music late in life . . Aged Mid 50's. . .(now almost 70 yrs old). I chose keyboard for no other reason than there was one (my son's) idle one gathering dust under the bed.

Not easy learning from scratch and who'd of thought taking up music as a hobby would require needing to know about other technical, computer related matters and and needing peripheral hardware etc.
My computer knowledge is totally inept .

Leads me to my query . .

I have two USB sticks both 32g.
Both full of styles!
One has 250 styles and one has 400 styles.
They both work perfectly on my keyboard.
I loaded these files from zipped up files I acquired on line. I muddled my way though my pc and managed somehow to unzip and extract the files.

I want to combine both into one USB.

Each one will not accept the other.

1. How do I transfer one lot to the other. The files unzipped only amount to no more than 2g total.

Some more questions . .

2. Should I start again . . put the whole lot from scratch onto a new stick?
3. Do I extract the files on the stick after transferring from PC or extraxt on the PC first?
4. Do new USB sticks need formatting before any transfer? Mine is a 32g verbatim 3x
5. When and if I get some more files, can I add to this Stick?
6. Can I delete all the files on the previous two sticks and re_use the sticks?

Thanks . . Got plenty of time. . Covid restrictions still prevail here.

Ray

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Before you do anything, check the maximum capacity your keyboard can address.

Secondly, as a precaution, use a formatter software to format the stick on your computer to get rid of any shovelware the manufacturer may have stuck on the stick. Use a FAT32 or VFAT for the format.

Then format the stick again on your keyboard in case it needs to add system files.

Then finally, copy the sticks on your computer copying the desired files and directories.

At that point it should all be working for you.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW >>> upon rereading, I notice you were trying to copy one of the originals to the other. Great way to lose everything!!! Always work with a copy or a backup system. Safer to copy all to a single 64 or 128 GB stick, as long as the keyboard can recognize it.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks Gary
Some of the terminology is jargon to me.
What is FAT32 and VFAT?

Also whenever I click onto my original zipped files . . I get message that my "Winzip trial needs to be activated and subscription payment needed"
I just ignore that and seems to still work okay.

Is there somewhere else on the PC where I should store these originals?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ray : FAT stands for File Allocation Table. The original Disk Format for IBM PC's and Atari 1040STs.

The 32 and VFAT variations are simply extensions of the format to include bigger drives.

PC's use NTFS or UEFI formats nowadays for hard drives, but FAT32 is still popular among drive manufacturers and third party hardware vendors because licensing fees are small to nothing.

Anyway. I back up all of my files at least twice when I do monthly backups because backups can fail at the worst possible times.

Ideally a lot of people these days back up to the cloud or some other offsite storage.

Personally I back up to a couple of terabyte USB Hard drives and rotate them with 4 others every other session.

I can happily state that I still possess files with file dates back to the 90's :D

Anyway, what I'm saying is buy a larger USB stick drive and do your experiments with that instead of the only two originals in existence.

That's my $0.02 :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually you reminded me to do full backups on all 3 computers this weekend.

I'm a devout believer in backups but even the faithful can slide a bit from time to time :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, Winzip is a for pay program that you really don't need these days.

You could remove it entirely and just right click on a filename in Windows File Explorer and select extract archive from the menu.

The ZIP archiver is built into windows these days.

The only reason you'd want to use Winzip is if you wanted to encrypt your files with a password.

Otherwise it offers nothing extra other than an annoying nag screen.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ray

As you are aware I know the Korg system where there are 40* free Style Pack available and each can be permanently loaded into the onboard memory.

Yamaha have software that you can use to manage the add ons to your S670, it is called Yamaha Expansion Manager so do check it out, I cannot add an other advice as I have not used it but I am just aware of it and the fact that there are dozens of online tutorial videos on using it.

As Gary has advised on Backup routines do remember that your keyboard also needs to be backed up, additionally do check the Manual to see if the Backup file also saves User Data. Korg’s have a specific Save All backup file generating routine that saves only User Data and this is used to restore that data in case of issues or after Op System updates. Yamaha may have a similar routine hence check the Manual.

Ask a Question