Anvil studio vs audacity

Reaction score
Hello there. :)

Is the free version of anvil studio better than audacity? And can it work as a sequencer to bring in files such as WAV or MP3s that the user has created? I hope i worded this okay and thanks. John

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've used either program.

AFAIR Anvil Studio cannot handle audio files without paying for an upgrade.

Likewise if memory serves me correctly Audacity had quite a few unimplemented features when it came to recording MIDI.

What I'm currently using on my linux systems are both Cakewalk Home Studio 9.01 and Music Creator 5.0 as well as the latest version of Reaper under WINE Windows emulator.

All three are very well behaved and run beautifully under Linux.

A couple of caveats. Cakewalk Music Creator is not free software but reasonably priced around $40 for the latest version and can handle MIDI, Audio and VST plugins just fine.

Likewise Reaper, while technically NOT free has a non crippled evaluation mode which never expires, so if you're a cheapskate you can run it for years without registering it.

Also be advised that Reaper has its own way of doing things and has a very steep and confusing initial learning curve. It definitely helps if you watch a few tutorial videos on Youtube more than once to get an understanding of how it handles MIDI files and VSTs.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
There are several free DAWs out there, but a couple of commercial DAWs that have free versions are PreSonus Studio One (Studio One 3 Prime is free) and Tracktion (T4 is free). These aren't free trials that expire or have some crippling feature, but totally working free versions. PreSonus Studio One 3 Prime is a "lite" version, whereas Tracktion T4 is a slightly older version.

There's also Zynewave Podium Free, Avid Pro Tools First, Ohm Studio, and LMMS, among others.

Ask a Question