Any beginners with softer keys?

Reaction score
I have permanent hand pain/damage from working on computer keyboards, but I miss dinking around on a keyboard. I will never play well, what would like something to pull out now and then for fun. I haven't had a keyboard for 25 years

Are there any models i should avoid because the keys feel firmer?

Looking for...
Budget: $100-$300
Voices/tones: at least 50
Usb
61, 73, or 76
Cool but not must haves:
Slimmer keys would be a plus
Lightweight
More fun and learning basic pop than basic learning. Anything that makes this easier to do is good. Including getting from the internet.
Lighted keys are interesting.
Dual zone would be cool
I don't exactly know how other features work but voice suppression on the ew310, auto cord and auto Harmony on the EZ 300 both sound interesting.

Have considered (not seen in person)
Ez300
Psr E373
Psr EW310
And a number of casios like wk200, 6600,x700. But I see a trend that many seem to think the Yamahas generally sound better than the casios?

Some of these things I mentioned when me for me. Trying to get the neighbor 8yo girl interested. I think a variety of sounds and rhythms and stuff like that will draw her attention.

Help!

Reaction score
Pull out now and then for fun ….……
Now and then will not get you playing to the best of your abilities, only daily and repeated structured practice will do that.

I would not recommend any of the keyboards that you list, a Yamaha PSR E463 is a better starter model.

Forget flashing lights and anything that starts EZ they are intended for children.

Yamaha E series operating systems are pretty poor but Casio’s are in a different league for being unfriendly, but they are what they are.

Imo the best sound can be found in the Korg EK50 which is $450 so a bit above your budget but with a keyboard you do get what you pay for and Korg build quality will blitz the opposition in the up to $500 US market.

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd recommend a Casio WK7600.

They're a lot of fun and I started out with similar Casio models.

PLUS, they are USB/MIDI Class Compliant so they'll work with ANY OS without Yamaha's nasty proprietary drivers.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you're really lucky, you can search the local classifieds for a used Casio XW-P1.

Incredibly fun Swiss army knife of sound, plus all the bread and butter sounds you'd need.

Used you should be able to pick one up for about $400-$600, well worth the money.

I really regret selling mine. :(

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'm going to make a really "out there" suggestion, that you take a look at fb, and get something with an organ (i.e. unweighted) keyboard. There are usually a few on there that people are giving away, and provided you have the space, they will give you ten or twenty year old tech for not much money at all.
e.g. YAMAHA EL25 for £50.00 currently on fb.

If you don't fancy that, and you know a bit about computers, I would look for an unweighted midi keyboard, and use some free virtual instruments through your computer and see if you want to go further.
e.g. these free synths

Last edited:

Ask a Question