Any way to make internal speakers work when connected to external speakers - DGX-670

Reaction score
Hi! Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the speakers on the keyboard functional when you are connected to external speakers? I'm trying to use the internal speakers as monitors and this would be very useful! I'm pretty sure I could make this happen on my DGX-660, just haven't been able to figure out how for the 670. Thanks!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
The owner's manual simply says that the sound to the built-in speakers will be cut off if you plug an audio cable or headphones into the PHONES/OUTPUT jack, so I don't think there's a setting that lets you use both at the same time as on the DGX-660.

Reaction score
YES...There is a setting in the DGX670 Menu which switches the speakers back on whilst still using headphones. Tested it works on my DGX670
Referance Manual PAGE 87

Last edited:
Reaction score
Is there are valid reason why Yamaha have to have two Manuals?

An Owners Manual @ 21.5Mb and a Reference Manual @ 7.6Mb.

Reaction score
Graham

I have no idea why!

It does seem pointless and means you have to look through two manuals to see if there is an obvious answer to a simple question.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That's been the standard for the higher-end Yamaha models of keyboards and synths for many years. In fact, there are usually at least three manuals, the third being the Data List that has all of the details about the voices and MIDI messages and parameter values. There are also smaller documents such as how to connect to your computer or smart devices, but those generally aren't targetted at specific models like the manuals.

When I've gone to other company's sites, such as Korg's or Roland's, they also typically have several manuals, guides, and other documents for each model, so it isn't that unusual for Yamaha to do it. Even non-musical equipment, such as all-in-one printers, typically have multiple documents instead of one single manual, so the practice isn't limited to musical keyboards.

Anyway, for higher-end Yamaha keyboards the Owner's Manual is more of a quick guide that gives a brief description of the keyboard's features and the basics of how to use them, whereas the Reference Manual goes into more detail about everything-- except, as I said, there's also a Data List that lists all of the voices, styles, songs, arpeggios, and so on which are built into the keyboard, as well as all of the MIDI messages it recognizes, including System Exclusive messages, along with the parameters and their values.

Reaction score
And yet the Owners manual goes to 116 pages where the Reference only has 97.

It would make sense if they had a Quick Start Manual with enough inside it to get you started and a far more comprehensive Reference manual that contains all the Quick Start info and much more for when you beed that.

With GWC’s response of page 87 of the Reference manual giving the answer the Owners Manual does not have the same information.

If you think about how many Yamaha related queries state that they have looked in the manual where in reality they have not looked in both.

Look at a Korg Manual and you are presented with over 1000 pages for the main Reference manual and 166 for the Quick Start, sort of puts Yamaha to shame. The problem being finding them on the impossible to navigate Korg website.

Reaction score
Col. Fully agree regarding two manuals, both provide answers that could be conbined in the one USER manual.
For me to find the answer I gave above I had to search the Reference Manual.

Ask a Question