Anyone else using any VSTI's?

Reaction score
Is anyone else using VSTI's or other software based sounds for their music? If so, what program(s) are you using and what style of music
are you making?

Reaction score
Yup... Pianoteq. No need to explain what type of music it's for :)
I only use it as a standalone VST cause i plug in the M-audio into my PC since
it's just a controller. It has a built in recorder so no need to tangle with other software

Reaction score
Sysryn, I loaded Steinberg's "The Grand" on my computer last weekend. With some tweaking of the parameters, I was able to get a very nice sound from it.

Reaction score
I've been around fruity loops a couple of times, but the guitar sounds are downright lame. Anyone got a suggestion for a similar program that has got nice guitar sounds? I'm in to metal, so the guitar is quite important.

<<Gratwhol>>

Reaction score
VSTi's

For pop and dance I've been using Vanguard, FM7 and some of the Korg Legacy stuff (Polysix and wavestation), Arturia Minimoog, Rob Papen's Blue, , NI Pro-52 & Pro-53 and the synth VSTi's bundled with Cubase (a1, embracer, & monologue). I can recommend them all, but I wouldn't load too many VSTi's if using cubase, to avoid it glitching and running like an arthritic slug.

In terms of FX I've started using SIR1 for reverb (in conjunction with 'impulse responses' which is excellent and can be downloaded for free at http://www.knufinke.de/sir/sir1.html

I have numerous keys and modules that I can use but I find VSTi's convenient and the missus doesn't complain about keys and wires everywhere. Aah the easy life with both ears in tact...:D

Reaction score
Thanks for the input sticky-keys. I have only gotten interested in the vsti's
in the past two years and find that they have opened up some new creative
possibilities for me. I've been using mostly conventional instrument sounds for R&B
type music. Probably my most used vsti is EWQL Colosus, with Kontakt being #2.

Reaction score
I have used a few in the past for both live performance (laptops are great!) and playing at home. Mainly, I'm a big fan of Native Instruments, although I've used Manytone's Upright Bass in a split mode for doing walking bass with jazz piano.

I'm moving out of VSTs now though because our new house doesn't have a proper studio setup (my wife and I spend all our time in the family room so I don't have a proper desk down there, just my keyboards on a stand) and I've had more opportunities to play keyboards live and don't want to add wear and tear to my laptop. I'm actually selling a few; send me a private message if you're interested in any.

Native Instruments FM8: $150 CDN
Native Instruments Absynth 4: $150 CDN
Native Instruments Pro-53: $150 CDN
Native Instruments Kore 2 & Kore 2 Controller: $450 CDN
Arturia Prophet V: $150 CDN
WayOutWare timewARP 2600: $125 CDN

Reaction score
In general, I like the Native Instruments products as well. It seems from the posts that the synth VSTI's are the most popular, but my use of VSTIs is primarily
for instrumentation typical of R&B music (keys,horns, and some drums/bass). Kontakt, Colossus, B4ll, and Gigastudio are the main programs I've used.

Reaction score
i've just got native instruments keyboard express, its so hammond.
but for guitar i use guitar rig and amplitube.
the one i use most of all though is addictive drums, stunning totally.

Reaction score
Im not very rich so i tend to use lots of vsti's

Absynth 4
Audjoo Helix
G Force impOSCar
Korg legacy
NI Massive
Arturia Minimoog, Moog Modular, Prophet, Arp 2600, Jupiter 8v
Novation V Station
reFX Nexus
NI FM8
NI Pro53
u-he Zebra2
UVI Workstation
z3ta+/First Contact/Polar/VirusAccesTI
D16 Nepheton/Nithonat
Discovery Pro
AudioRealism Bass Line PRO
Antres Autotune

I admit i don't have the hardware, but i can do some really nifty stuff with my vsti collection.....vsti= poor mans hardware synths

Reaction score
I use:

Gforce Mtron Pro - Mellotron

Minimogue VA - whenever I need to use two moogs at once...for that Switched On Bach kind of stuff.

Logic Express 9 - recording and virtual instruments

Korg M1 Legacy - great guitar sounds and pads

Garageband - It's great for on-the-go plug and record situations.

I've been told my style of music is Baroque Fantasy. Like the styles of Bach and Wakeman combined

Ask a Question