Anyone got one of these?

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
BOHM . .
Found this by YouTube surfin'
I was intrigued by its sleek design with foot pedals 'n all.
I googled Bohm and I got a shock to see figures around 30 odd thousand pounds (UK).:eek:

Got my lottery ticket . . $$$:p

Reaction score
BOHM . .
Found this by YouTube surfin'
I was intrigued by its sleek design with foot pedals 'n all.
I googled Bohm and I got a shock to see figures around 30 odd thousand pounds (UK).:eek:

Got my lottery ticket . . $$$:p

Hej Rayblewit hace a look on this page:

http://www.musictraders.co.uk/

They have diffrent type of organs and a lot of YouTube examples.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Unbelievable Goldi. Some prices are just plain ridiculous.
I am not in the market to buy anything like that . .just yet. ;)
When I clear all of my debts and my bank balance makes 7 figures . . (Dreamin'). I will buy a Bohm or Wersi and as well I will buy one for you too..
Generous Ray:p

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to point out that the usual market for these behemoths is your local church or hockey arena or baseball stadium.

And for that matter there are thousand dollar workstations and performance synths and arrangers that can play rings around these beasts when hooked up to a $500 home computer :p

Every once in a blue moon I see people trying to unload old style theater organs on craigslist and kijiji and believe me, they are willing to give them away simply to the first comer who wants to haul it away :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

A friend of mine has a Bohm organ, lovely sounding thing, and the spec is fantastic, but to be honest my personal feeling is the way forward for home users is either a PC or Ipad as a lot of keyboard manufactures are releasing sound module type apps for under £30.00 which means you can have all the great sounds in a very small economical packages.

Brian

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Speak of the devil... ;)

Deals like these show up on my local Kijiji classifeds on a weekly basis.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboa...an/1261453682?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboa...an/1244196420?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboa...an/1261342121?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboa...ai/1261152988?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboa...an/1260536041?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboa...no/1259937159?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

People can't afford to keep these monsters in their home once they move to a smaller place or the original owner passes away and are willing to give them away to the first one who hauls it away.

These are just from the first dozen or so hits that came up when I searched on "organ." There are over 150 more on this site alone.

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
IF you are interested in playing classical organ music, you need a full pedal board. There are a couple standards, depending on if you live in the United States (AGO) or Europe. However, the one thing they all have in common is that the pedal board requires a crap ton of room. The manuals and the cabinet don't.

The sound of the organ doesn't require actual pipes (although you can fit a small one in your living room), but can be emulated through software, like everything else. The top of the line organ emulation software is called Hauptwerk. Here's a quick link to a bunch of pictures of consoles that people have set up for Hauptwerk, ranging from small to huge. The important thing is to leave a bunch of floor space for the pedals.

My plan is to (eventually) buy an old used organ on eBay with two or three five octave manuals and an AGO spec pedal board. Make sure the seller adds MIDI outputs, and then have the actual sound come from the computer, not the organ. There are usually several for sale in the one to two thousand US dollar range. Even with shipping, it would probably be cheaper than buying new.

It won't be a cool looking Wersi organ, but it will be a decent pipe organ replacement.

Reaction score
made me think of this, what's the story with these? I saw some old ones offered for sale by a university. Are they like a modern melltron or something? Yamaha Electone

Reaction score
Positively atrocious guitar sound. Keyboards have had the hardrock/heavy metal rhythm guitar sound down pretty solidly for a good 15 years, this isn't it. A $120 copy of Shreddage and the amp sim of your choice runs circles around this (and pretty much everything else, IMO). Don't mean to be a dick, just totally not impressed, though fun to see organ pedals used in that way. I've thought about doing that myself, and even played some simple stuff just using a few sustain pedals, but this is obviously a better option.

Reaction score
Positively atrocious guitar sound. Keyboards have had the hardrock/heavy metal rhythm guitar sound down pretty solidly for a good 15 years, this isn't it. A $120 copy of Shreddage and the amp sim of your choice runs circles around this (and pretty much everything else, IMO). Don't mean to be a dick, just totally not impressed, though fun to see organ pedals used in that way. I've thought about doing that myself, and even played some simple stuff just using a few sustain pedals, but this is obviously a better option.
Really??? Wow! Well, if this is true this is something I need to know. Maybe my own metal choices sound like crap to others. I only know this song from this but I grew to kinda like it. I might not know where to start in asking where it's wrong because I probably wouldn't understand the terms anyway. Do you have a comparable style youtube example that you say sounds right and maybe I will hear what you mean?

Reaction score
Here's the basic concept: an overdriven guitar by nature has absolutely no dynamic range, but when playing riffs you still want to accent certain notes. So metal guitarists get around this by muting the strings with the palm of their hand to get more or less sustain, and to "open up" for accented notes. If you listen to any hard rock guitar part the accented notes are essentially longer, while everything else is staccato because of this technique. A good rhythm guitar VI (like Shreddage) will interpret keyboard velocity into palm muting, instead of changing the volume, something that distorted guitar doesn't really have much control over anyway. It makes the guitar part sound far more organic and dynamic.

Here's a SoundCloud link to a track off one of the albums I played on about 5 years ago. The band didn't have a guitarist but we wanted to break into a huge metal sound. Go to 2:11 to see the part I'm talking about:
https://soundcloud.com/eelhouse/farewell-to-the-taliban

Some other things to consider:
- Almost all metal rhythm guitar studio tracks are double-tracked. That is they're recorded twice and panned hard left/right to get that big wall-of-crunch sound. A good guitar VI will emulate this by spitting out two different samples of the guitar note to either channel, and then you use your amp sim in stereo mode to process them separately (this is key).
- Metal and hard rock are big on the powerchord, which isn't so much a chord but a harmonic tonality built by playing the fifth and even the octave. Because everything get's totally smudged by the distortion, this comes across less as a harmony then just a thickening of the timbre. I should note that this NEEDS to be played before the guitar hits the amp sim, which is why it's better to have the amp sim be a completely separate effect after the guitar VI, and not just have fuzz built into the guitar patch. It's easy enough to get by just playing 5ths on most VIs, though the Shreddage VI samples power chords together, assigning them to the bottom few octaves. Typically guitarists will play powerchords on the root of the chord and in places where they're not changing notes quickly (that's not really possible and gets muddy anyway).

I've mentioned Shreddage quite a bit, and I like it a lot, but there are other VIs out there that do this: Orange Tree Strawberry Electric, Electri6ity, Real Guitar, to name a few. But to my ears, Shreddage is probably the best tuned for the balls-to-the-walls metal sound, though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Eric, well first of all I'm up after waking up in the middle of the night for some reason but so far I don't get it. I'll try again later. Listening to the soundcloud I can't really hear the metal rhythm correctly with the dominant "pure" type sounds. I wish I could have heard that first without trying to look for something because now I might be ruined from just listening to and hearing the song which seems like it could be something I like. In that song if your are trying to tell a story with the music I like that idea whether I may like the story or not. That is actually my goal in music is to send messages.
Looking at the first "shreddage 2" , tutorial maybe, that comes up on youtube, I didn't really hear any sound that really struck me that I would want to use exactly but close and I can see potential. I'm not really into "shredding" but I know that's just the name. I think he was just showing the potential from which the user could expand upon. In the meantime I did listen to def leppards version expecting it to sound a lot better. I love the def leppard pyromania album and a few hits from others. I was actually not pleased on the original switch 625. I like her version much better. I like her clearer and more sustained sound and emphasis. That's kind of surprising because the clarity of the def leppard sound is a major thing I liked about them. Anyway, I'll look into this some more to try to figure out what you mean.
edit: on some of her other videos I think she completely ruins it by using organ sounds for the vocal track and I guess it may be because she has it in her head that she is playing an organ. You also mentioned "organ" which is sort of the answer to what I was asking "whats the story with these." I guess I sort of avoid "organs" or even thinking much about them because they remind me of the magnus we had in our house as a kid and the family organs that came out in the 60's with really dumb sounding rhythm accompaniments.

Last edited:
Reaction score
LOL, organs can be extremely varied, and just like guitars, it also matters greatly what kind of amp and speaker you run them through. Magnus's are definitely low on the totem pole, but even B3s can sound bland and characterless if they're not played through good amps and played well. Obviously the Leslie rotary speaker is a good match, but I also love the Jon Lord style of running them through an overdriven Marshall, too. But most transistor organs like the Magnus, Vox Continental, and Farfisa are pretty tacky sounding by nature. I can't understand why Ray Manzura insisted on playing the Farfisa, he was a great musician by anyone's standard, but jesus so many of those songs would have sounded even better with a B3.

But similarly, the guitar or guitar sim is only part of the equation, the biggest part to the sound is A) how it's played, and B) what kind of amp and settings it's going through. Def Leopard isn't exactly metal, so it's probably not gonna have as severe muting as Maiden or particularly like modern metal, but it's still gonna be there. But it's also good to have a VI or patch that has multiple samples of the same note, so that when you're repeating a note (which is something hard rock/metal guitar parts do a lot), they all sound slightly different. The amp is really important. Lead sounds often have far more gain and distortion, which makes them sustain longer and be even flatter in tone. I've commonly used Orange Tree Strawberry Electric for lead guitars, because that's more it's focus. However, Shreddage 2 (I only have Shreddage 1) sounds even more organic to my ears, and I'm thinking of upgrading and switching over to using it 100% of the time. But you're going to want to have a good amp sim too. I use Guitar Rig because I have NI Komplete, but there are better out there. Amplitube and Bias Positive Grid are both really highly regarded.

Reaction score
LOL, organs can be extremely varied, and just like guitars, it also matters greatly what kind of amp and speaker you run them through. Magnus's are definitely low on the totem pole, but even B3s can sound bland and characterless if they're not played through good amps and played well. Obviously the Leslie rotary speaker is a good match, but I also love the Jon Lord style of running them through an overdriven Marshall, too. But most transistor organs like the Magnus, Vox Continental, and Farfisa are pretty tacky sounding by nature. I can't understand why Ray Manzura insisted on playing the Farfisa, he was a great musician by anyone's standard, but jesus so many of those songs would have sounded even better with a B3.

But similarly, the guitar or guitar sim is only part of the equation, the biggest part to the sound is A) how it's played, and B) what kind of amp and settings it's going through. Def Leopard isn't exactly metal, so it's probably not gonna have as severe muting as Maiden or particularly like modern metal, but it's still gonna be there. But it's also good to have a VI or patch that has multiple samples of the same note, so that when you're repeating a note (which is something hard rock/metal guitar parts do a lot), they all sound slightly different. The amp is really important. Lead sounds often have far more gain and distortion, which makes them sustain longer and be even flatter in tone. I've commonly used Orange Tree Strawberry Electric for lead guitars, because that's more it's focus. However, Shreddage 2 (I only have Shreddage 1) sounds even more organic to my ears, and I'm thinking of upgrading and switching over to using it 100% of the time. But you're going to want to have a good amp sim too. I use Guitar Rig because I have NI Komplete, but there are better out there. Amplitube and Bias Positive Grid are both really highly regarded.
I loved my farfisa. I forget which one it was but I think it had turquoise and yellow buttons. I'd play it through a large base amp with lots of reverb. It was pretty spooky :)

Ask a Question