Anyone tried a Korg Liano?

Reaction score
Very interested in this board as a super portable piano option. 88 full size keys, only 13 pounds, shame no lineouts, but it does have a USB audio interface which is huge and supposedly some ok sounds, "LS Action"? I can order one where I live, but can't test it out, so I'm wondering if anyone has one and can describe what this "LS action" feels like, and how good/not good the pianos are. There's only a handful of reviews online. It looks to be the same idea as the Yamaha Piagerro NP32 which has been out FOREVER, so I'm hoping it has a nicer action and better sounds . . .

Reaction score
I have not tried the Liana, but I have the B2, B2N and D1.

Lets put it this way in terms of keybed action Preferences, first Roland FP30, then Yamaha P125, Casio PX S1000 > then in the next County the Korgs except for the B2N which is in the next Country.

I may be wrong but the keybed on the B2N is their Light Touch and probably the Liana is the same or similar.

Soft, squidgy, no feel in the keys, in other words time to switch to a kazoo if that is all there is.

As for Korg’s piano sounds, first I am a Korg guy but their piano sounds suck even worst than their keybeds.

If you can live with 71 keys then the 11kg Yamaha P121 could fit your requirements

Reaction score
Ok cool thanks; I have a P125, was looking for super light battery option (lighter than the Casio PX/CDP); a store close to me might have a B2N I'll go try that thanks! Other than that maybe I'll just stick with my PSR-EW425 its battery operable and 19lbs

Reaction score
Allow me to chime in...

I bought a Liano, just to know how it feels. And it's cheap as chips. Up till now, I was using a Kawai ES110 to play piano virtual instruments and recording in Cubase. Very good weighted action, the ES110, but somewhat noisy for a small home studio.

The actions D1, B2 and B2N that @Biggles is talking about, I know too.
I used to own a Korg Kross 2 88, which has the Korg NH (Natural Hammer) action. Not the best, but comparable to the GHS in the Yamaha P125/121. Which is better, the GHS or the NH, that's purely subjective.
The RH3 in the D1, well, one word, wonderful.

The B2N has a 'light touch' action, not weighted like a hammer action (like the NH) but I guess semi-weighted, AND it is graded ; I haven't played this action, so cannot comment.
I have played the LS action, though, and the one in the Liano is the same LS action that was in the Kronos LS. Not graded, semi-weighted but surprisingly nice to play for piano. For allround playing, it's really good, quiet action, too. For my home studio, couldn't be happier. More importantly, playing into the keys (or close to the fallboard) is dead easy with this, no extra effort needed.
If this were a hammer action, you'd only find this in the more high-end actions, like Kawai's GFIII or Roland's PHA50. This isn't hammer action, and it also not graded, but you can play some pretty advanced stuff on this. You only lose out on that true piano feel...

The sounds are quite good (supposedly they come from Nautilus), especially at this price point. But I use VST's anyway. It feels more like a good quality synth action at first, but it grows on you. If you're looking for a good allround action, go for it.
Unless you really, absolutely have to have a graded hammer action...

As for Korg’s piano sounds, first I am a Korg guy but their piano sounds suck even worst than their keybeds.

You obviously haven't heard any piano sounds from the SV2 or Nautilus, nor tried the keybed...

Reaction score
Right, the Liano has the action from the Kronos LS. It should be significantly better than the B2N. But I haven't played either of these actions.

For a super portable piano, I'm happy with the Casio CT-S500... but you have to be willing to live with just 61 keys. Other than that, it's got lots of advantages over the Liano. But that's not a minor difference.

Reaction score
In a nutshell :
- does it feel like a piano : no !
- can you play expressively on it : yes !

I bought if for the action, don't mind about the sounds. But pair this with your iPhone or iPad running Korg Module, and you have yourself a powerful, cheap and featherlight little board...

Reaction score
Right, the Liano has the action from the Kronos LS. It should be significantly better than the B2N. But I haven't played either of these actions.

For a super portable piano, I'm happy with the Casio CT-S500... but you have to be willing to live with just 61 keys. Other than that, it's got lots of advantages over the Liano. But that's not a minor difference.
I thought about the CT-S500; had a CT-S1 for awhile the sounds and portability were great and the 500 adds the lineouts and screen, but I do like the idea of 88 keys (and I think they're true full size octave width 164-165mm; I've always found the narrower ones 159-160 like the PSR/Casiotone boards to be a pain to adjust to) and found the CT-S1 action to be kinda spongy feeling, and the USB audio interface is a huge feature I would use often. I'm also never satisfied ;)

Reaction score
Allow me to chime in...

I bought a Liano, just to know how it feels. And it's cheap as chips. Up till now, I was using a Kawai ES110 to play piano virtual instruments and recording in Cubase. Very good weighted action, the ES110, but somewhat noisy for a small home studio.

The actions D1, B2 and B2N that @Biggles is talking about, I know too.
I used to own a Korg Kross 2 88, which has the Korg NH (Natural Hammer) action. Not the best, but comparable to the GHS in the Yamaha P125/121. Which is better, the GHS or the NH, that's purely subjective.
The RH3 in the D1, well, one word, wonderful.

The B2N has a 'light touch' action, not weighted like a hammer action (like the NH) but I guess semi-weighted, AND it is graded ; I haven't played this action, so cannot comment.
I have played the LS action, though, and the one in the Liano is the same LS action that was in the Kronos LS. Not graded, semi-weighted but surprisingly nice to play for piano. For allround playing, it's really good, quiet action, too. For my home studio, couldn't be happier. More importantly, playing into the keys (or close to the fallboard) is dead easy with this, no extra effort needed.
If this were a hammer action, you'd only find this in the more high-end actions, like Kawai's GFIII or Roland's PHA50. This isn't hammer action, and it also not graded, but you can play some pretty advanced stuff on this. You only lose out on that true piano feel...

The sounds are quite good (supposedly they come from Nautilus), especially at this price point. But I use VST's anyway. It feels more like a good quality synth action at first, but it grows on you. If you're looking for a good allround action, go for it.
Unless you really, absolutely have to have a graded hammer action...

You obviously haven't heard any piano sounds from the SV2 or Nautilus, nor tried the keybed...
Hey thanks for that info; any idea how the piano patch would compare to the EK-50's? I had one of those for awhile. And have you ever played a Yamaha Piagerro NP32? It's been around for a million years, wondering if the Liano action might be similar to that?

Reaction score
the USB audio interface is a huge feature I would use often. I'm also never satisfied ;)

See above ;)

Hey thanks for that info; any idea how the piano patch would compare to the EK-50's? I had one of those for awhile. And have you ever played a Yamaha Piagerro NP32? It's been around for a million years, wondering if the Liano action might be similar to that?

Not familiar with the EK-50, nor the Piagerro...

Reaction score
In a nutshell :
- does it feel like a piano : no !
- can you play expressively on it : yes !

I bought if for the action, don't mind about the sounds. But pair this with your iPhone or iPad running Korg Module, and you have yourself a powerful, cheap and featherlight little board...
Managed to talk my local store into bringing one in for me without buying it so I can check it out first; should be a couple weeks but I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Is the Korg module good?

Reaction score
Managed to talk my local store into bringing one in for me without buying it so I can check it out first; should be a couple weeks but I have a feeling I'm going to like it. Is the Korg module good?

I haven't used the full version of Module but there's a free version with one Grand Piano to try out. Sounds really nice and you can listen to all the other sounds. If you have an iPad, then Korg Gadget might be worth a look. It's loop based DAW, a bit like Ableton 'light' but it comes with a solid sound library as well. There's also a free version.

Check out Korg's site !

Reaction score
I have the full version of Korg Module which has plenty of sounds, but to my ears Korg’s acoustic piano sounds are hit and miss.

Regarded as by far the best Piano App for an iPad is the Ravenscroft 275.

Reaction score
I have the full version of Korg Module which has plenty of sounds, but to my ears Korg’s acoustic piano sounds are hit and miss.

Regarded as by far the best Piano App for an iPad is the Ravenscroft 275.
Yeah I heard Ravenscroft is pretty impressive I will eventually test that one out - I tend to prefer just panel voices anyways, but I will test that out after I try the Korg one. I think Ravenscroft for iOS is just one voice

Reaction score
Sorry for resurrecting a dormant thread, but I'm a little confused by the infos about the software that comes with the Liano.

If I'm not mistaken, the free version of Module used to be called "Module LE" or "Lite" or something like that, the full version just "Module". Recently, Korg renamed the apps, so that the free version is now called just "Module", the full version "Module Pro".
If the Liano now comes with "Module", it's probably nothing more than the free version. Similarly, Gadget 2 Le is also free for everyone.

So what's the benefit of getting those two apps with the Liano, if both can be had for free anyway?

Reaction score
So no answers. Fine. Maybe no one was able to really answer the question, which I could so totally understand now. I did some more research on my own and I can only say: Man, what a ride.

I think I finally managed to clarify things a bit. But then, maybe not? In a way, all this keeps getting ever *more* confusing.

I eventually found this Korg support page:
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/articles/360030601932

It states (and also finally mentions additional "sound programs" by name that are "unlocked", but also leaves quite some additonal subsequent questions open) [EDIT: Please read the whole thing, the forum software likes to collapse it for no good reason]:

"There are 3 ways to unlock:
- Connect a KORG hardware product that includes a "KORG Software Bundle". For more information, go to https://www.korg-license-center.com/ [which, BTW, is the exact same page that is called "www.korg.com/bundle" in the App Store]
- Getting KORG Gadget for iOS. [Put a marker in this one!]
- Making any purchase from the KORG Module store page [huh? Where/what the f*** is the "KORG Module store page"?]

Features you can unlock
1. Four additional sound programs: Natural Tine EP, Simple Organ, Clav CA, Strings and Sync Lead [by which they probably mean SYNTH lead? And what on earth is "Natural Tine EP"? And since when is 4 = 5?].
2. 6 "Gadgetized" versions of modules in KORG Gadget [which 6 "modules"? 4 = 5 + 1 = 6? And what *is* a "module", after all?]
3. Set List function
4. MIDI player
5. Audio Recording"

This still doesn't really explain why the "Korg Bundle" site that is linked in Apple's App store (which is the exact same page as https://www.korg-license-center.com/ mentioned above) demands an unlock code (even for any further useful information) from a "license card" that isn't mentioned anywhere else.

Korg really doesn't make it easy to get to this information (or any concise information, for that matter). What's also confusing is that Korg sometimes refers to sound "engines", other times to sound "programs", then to "modules", without ever clarifiying the difference.

And what makes me additionally sad is that even if you purchase the paid "Module Pro" app, Korg is still nickle-and-diming you:
If I'm not mistaken, you get for your "Pro" purchase something similar to what you could otherwise "unlock". The App Store lists "Six dedicated sound engines : Acoustic Piano/Electric Piano/Clav/Organ/Multi/Hybrid". Whatever "Multi" and "Hybrid" may be.
But dare you want (like many probably will) to play a "Wurley" ($4.99) or DX7 sounds ("80's Electric Piano", $9.99). Euro prices are quite a bit higher, BTW. And why would I need an extra "Ivory Mobile Grand" ($14.99) and/or "Ivory Mobile American D" ($19.99)? The standard piano sound ain't that great? Be prepared to pay up your nose for addittional in-app purchases, some of which may be justified ("Triton Best Selection", perhaps), but a lot of that stuff should have been included in a "Pro" app in the first place IMHO.

OTOH, even if you "unlocked" the "Korg Software Bundle", you might still have to pay the price for Module "Pro" first, since the in-app purchases list for non-"Pro" Module doesn't include the additional Wurley and DX7 sounds & others.

In a way, Korg does their very best to make me (and maybe others?) a fed-up customer, even before becoming a customer at all.

After all that, the bundled Korg apps might not be the huge deal they're said to be. On the contrary, it might be a good idea to purchase Korg Gadget for iOS, which at least gives you some real value for the extra $19.99/€22.99, if you have any use for it. This should unlock whatever is there to unlock in the free Module version (see bullet point #2 from the list above). Then buy any other keyboard/digital piano you might like. Or buy a nice used example of the Liano for cheap (whether it comes with the mythical "license cards" or not). Overall, this should save you some money. And maybe your sanity. Remember this will *also* relieve you of the task to find out what's the real difference between Korg Gadget & Gadget LE. :)
(Hint: it has something to do with "Amsterdam", "Brussels" & "Vladivostok". But then, I might have made one of them up. Go find it out if you're really, really bored. And if you're done, you might also tell us what those highly descriptive names stand for.)

Oh, I forgot: To make things even more fun, Korg only ever refers to "MIDI controllers" and "synthesizers" when it comes to unlocking, and doesn't mention keyboards or digital pianos, or the Liano by name, anywhere AFAICT. Does that mean anything? Ask Korg.

Reaction score
I think I can clear some of this up...

- Making any purchase from the KORG Module store page [huh? Where/what the f*** is the "KORG Module store page"?]

In Korg Module, you can navigate to a Store page (screen), from which you can purchase additional sounds.

Four additional sound programs: Natural Tine EP, Simple Organ, Clav CA, Strings and Sync Lead [by which they probably mean SYNTH lead?

A "sync lead" is a specific kind of synth lead sound, where oscillators are synced (synchronized) to each other in a way that produces a particular sound characteristic, kind of like phasing. You can hear an example of such a sound at

What's also confusing is that Korg sometimes refers to sound "engines", other times to sound "programs", then to "modules", without ever clarifiying the difference.

As you mentioned elsewhere, Korg Module has six engines: Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano, Clav, Organ, Multi and the more recently added Hybrid. They are differentiated from each other by their methods of sound generation and/or the interface presented. Each of these engines has many programs you can choose from ("program" being the term Korg uses to refer to a single complete keyboard-playable sound). Possibly they sometimes refer to those Korg Module engines as modules? That's what it sounds like in that reference to "Gadgetized" versions of modules. Have you seen that anywhere else?

Whatever "Multi" and "Hybrid" may be.

Multi is the sound engine that gives you all the sample-based sounds that are not Acoustic Piano, Electric Piano, Clav, Organ. So for example, that's where you'll find your strings, horns, etc. Hybrid (a "digital synthesizer") was an addition for non-sample-based sounds (i.e. virtual analog or FM synthesis).

But dare you want (like many probably will) to play a "Wurley" ($4.99) or DX7 sounds ("80's Electric Piano", $9.99). Euro prices are quite a bit higher, BTW. And why would I need an extra "Ivory Mobile Grand" ($14.99) and/or "Ivory Mobile American D" ($19.99)? The standard piano sound ain't that great? Be prepared to pay up your nose for addittional in-app purchases, some of which may be justified ("Triton Best Selection", perhaps), but a lot of that stuff should have been included in a "Pro" app in the first place IMHO.

It's all relative. As a whole, iOS apps are so cheap to begin with (compared to PC/Mac VSTs or hardware) that some people will find these things to be a good value even if you buy numerous add-ons. But few people probably need to buy them all... you can buy just what you need, or you may be perfectly happy with just the sounds that come with it. But for example the $15 and $20 Ivory pianos are scaled down versions of pianos that come in the $349 Ivory II Grand for PC/Mac. Are they as detailed and full-featured? No, but considering the price difference, ripoff or bargain may be a matter of perspective.

Oh, I forgot: To make things even more fun, Korg only ever refers to "MIDI controllers" and "synthesizers" when it comes to unlocking, and doesn't mention keyboards or digital pianos, or the Liano by name, anywhere AFAICT. Does that mean anything? Ask Korg.

I suspect that's because, originally, the free unlocking of some additional sounds on the free version of Module was only available on those products, and was later made available to other boards like LIano, and they just never updated the earlier page (which you can see is dated November 20, 2021).

Ask a Question