AP-650 MBK Celviano versus WK 7500

Reaction score
Hi there.
I have old acoustic piano ( which I don't use) and Casio WK 7500.
also there is a Kurzweil PC 361.
I enjoy playing Casio arranger keyboard.

I'm considering selling WK 7500 and the acoustic piano, and buying digital piano with arranger, like Celviano AP 650.

From what I can see, it is more like 6500 than 7500- It doesn't have a pattern sequencer, and it has only 10 user rhytms, instead of 100 at 7500?This is a serious downside.

But what about the tones? Has anyone compared the sounds of WK keyboards and Celviano? Can Celviano tones, come somewhat closer the quality of higher end brands? Maybe not like Kurwzeil, but can they at least come closer to Roland or Korg?

Any suggestion would be more than appreciated.

Mayo

Reaction score
Having tried a few boards I was amazed just how good the new Casios are!
Casio get labelled as makers of toy keyboards and calculators, but their new instruments are quite something!
They feel pretty authentic too

Reaction score
Mayo

If you are just interested in better sounding piano voices than the factory presets on the WK-7500, try tweaking the default Stereo Grand preset with the TONE EDITOR by raising the CUTOFF FREQUENCY a few points to brighten it up a bit and increase the RELEASE TIME a few points so that it more closely emulates the soundboard "reverberation" of a real piano. Here is a link to an in-depth "tweak" that I have not had a chance to try yet, but its author was fairly satisfied with the results. Since their site is down at the moment for repairs, I will list the settings below, but if you use the settings and like them, please visit the site to give the author his just kudos. If this resolves your issues, at least you will not have to sacrifice the things you like about the WK-7500.

http://www.casiomusicforums.com/ind...k7600plus-grand-piano-setting-need-some-help/

Attack time(-54)
release time(+35)
cut off(-14)
vib.type(sin)
vib depth(00)
vib.rate +15
vib delay(+19)
touch sense(63)
Reverb send(043)
cho.send(001)
Mod setting(Vib)
Mod depth(064)
DSP(off)

Play soft,very soft. and pull the volume up! =HEAVEN (Author's note)

Here are a few general considerations when tweaking piano voices. "Brightening" tweaks are best applied to standard grand piano voices. Brightening a BRIGHT piano voice usually makes it too bright - to the point of making it sound tinny. Also, lengthening a BRIGHT piano voice usually does not seem to work well. Brightening a MELLOW or EUROPEAN grand piano voice does not make much sense, as you are just offsetting its inherent dark tonal qualities, but lengthening the release times of these voices can work very well.

Last edited:

Ask a Question