App: Sheet Music Scanner & Reader

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am in no way associated with this product.

I'm always wanting to take sheet music and put it in electronic format when I'm learning it to help me through difficult sections, but until now the best solution I've found is manually entering it into a program like MuseScore.

I was watching a video on YouTube last night 14 Songs Based On Classical Music that was sponsored by the app "Sheet Music Scanner & Reader". The person talked a few minutes about what it could do so I decided to check it out. When I saw that it was less than $5 I figured I wouldn't be too annoyed with spending the money if it was junk.

I'm using it on a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and also on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A.

The first sheet music I scanned was a piece from the book "Easy Classics to Modern". The book was copyrighted in 1956 and the print quality looks like it was from then. The app scanned it and played it back with no problems.

The next task I gave it was to import a pretty complex piece I have in PDF form. I then exported it in MusicXML format and opened it in MuseScore. I had to do some tweaking and minor cleanup due to the original piece having some sections with two staves and some sections with three, but all in all it was way easier than trying to manually enter it (or MIDI enter it) in MuseScore.

The only mildly annoying part about the PDF to MusicXML conversion is having to connect my phone or tablet to my computer and move files back and forth, but it's still way easier than what I've been working with so far.

I'm sure I'll find some additional flaws with it, but so far I'm very happy with my $4.76 purchase.

Ask a Question