Are there secret messages in music played backwards?

Reaction score
Back in the day I believe it was the Beatles and "Paul is dead" on the I am a Walrus cut. And many people used to say they hears SATAN said in many songs played backwards. Is there any new music that has hidden messages or Subliminal messages in it that you know of, or have you looked for it?
I only bring this up because I was remixing my sisters CD and one of the songs sounded soo great, and the chord progressions were so tight and even some words were audible while I was rewinding the song and listening to it backwards. She actually remade the song and changed the lyrics and put it on the new cd along with the old song and it is incredible how much different they are considering one is backward and the other one is rightways.

Reaction score
I'll give you a short reply: - No :D

I honestly don't believe ANYONE would even bother putting up lyrics in
some particular order to sound like something while played backward

Reaction score
I absolutely believe this 100%. just look up "backmasking" on youtube and youll find all kinds of stuff. John Anderson also has some good material which you should see in regards to backmasking.

Reaction score
I absolutely believe this 100%. just look up "backmasking" on youtube and youll find all kinds of stuff. John Anderson also has some good material which you should see in regards to backmasking.

The human brain is VERY suggestive. It's a primitive little thing we have
in our heads that processes what it gets with the info it already has.

To prove it, just listen to this (even the lead solo has lyrics hehe)

:D

Just imagine what would we hear if it was played backwards lol

Reaction score
There are several well documented cases of backmasking. Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces contains a hidden message referencing the band's former guitarist Syd Barrett from Roger Waters, and ELO's "Fire On High" contains the message "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back!"

Interestingly the controversy surrounding alledged satanic messages (in particular in "Stairway to Heaven" and "Hotel California") has lead to satanic messages being deliberatly placed in music, many of which can be found here.

Reaction score
There are several well documented cases of backmasking. Pink Floyd's "Empty Spaces contains a hidden message referencing the band's former guitarist Syd Barrett from Roger Waters, and ELO's "Fire On High" contains the message "The music is reversible but time is not. Turn back!"

Interestingly the controversy surrounding alledged satanic messages (in particular in "Stairway to Heaven" and "Hotel California") has lead to satanic messages being deliberatly placed in music, many of which can be found here.

Thank you for the information, I didn't know if my tin foil hat was slipping or not, but the link 'splains it to me.

Reaction score
this is fun - open up sound recorder, write a sentence down backwards, like in mirror writing. then record yourself reading it (this takes a bit of effort cos it's complete gobbldeygook, and you have to pronounce "hs" as "sh" and things) then reverse it and listen to it

It works slightly better if you, when you're reading the gobbdlygook, you speak it as if it sounds reversed, you know? like a slow-attack type effect?

It sounds really weird - my brother used to use it for making weird films and stuff...

Reaction score
I believe the reason why you here things in music play backwards is because you want to hear those things.

Famous example is Stairway to Heaven. If you didn't know what was ment to be said, you probably would be thinking, probably not the same as what people said it stated.

If anything its nothing and almost impossible for classics to have messages played backwards in songs. Did they even have the technology to do something like that back when these songs were recorded?

Reaction score
Sure they did. Just flip the tape over, wind it up, and play. When I was a kid we'd sometimes do it with cassette tapes. Cheap entertainment!

Kids these days have it so easy.... ("Hey dad, what's this? A cassette tape. How you play it on shuffle?...")

Reaction score
Sure they did. Just flip the tape over, wind it up, and play. When I was a kid we'd sometimes do it with cassette tapes. Cheap entertainment!

Kids these days have it so easy.... ("Hey dad, what's this? A cassette tape. How you play it on shuffle?...")

Yes, but if you deff listen to songs like that, they say it totally harsh and hard to figure out. Sometimes they sound funny but say something easy to understand. I dont think they did it purposely.

Reaction score

1- Pink Floyd.
2- I would SO do that! Secret reverse messages are awesome!

Reaction score

The real answer is yes: I know a guy who knew a guy who died from listening to records backwards.

Ask a Question