Arranger style keyboards

Reaction score
Do these devices transmit midi data or do they have to play all the parts internally? For instance, can the drum parts be midi'd out to an external drum module, or a bass track, horn lines, etc?

These machines are usually great but sometimes certain parts may sound better on other devices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I thnink it's largely dependent on brand and model.

I'm pretty sure Casio arrangers can output MIDI for all parts.

Not so sure about Yamaha and Korg arrangers.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
BTW, the Juno DS by Roland, while not strictly speaking an aranger, can NOT output the interrnal step sequencer as MIDI data. This is really my only disappointment with this keyboard. It would probably be a trivial firmware update to add this ability if Roland ever saw fit to do so. :p

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks. That leads to my next question. Can any of them besides Casio output their arrangements as General MIDI Files?

Reaction score
In answer to your first depends upon make and model.

There is no need for an external drum module when any half decent Arranger has hundreds of drum kit permutations and Styles available?

Or you can even create your drum pattern in the unit with whatever kit you want.

There are only two manufacturers that make effective Arrangers, Korg and Yamaha.

Watching the Tutorial videos ( not reviews ) produced by each company on whatever model is in your price range to get a better understanding of how they function.

To give an example in a Korg PA series ie 700/1000/4X you can create a MIDI file and edit it in the keyboard, there is no need for a DAW in a PC or MAC. The file can be exported as a MIDI or exported as an audio file.

So that is Question 2 answered

Additionally a MIDI file can be imported and played in an Arranger and it can also be converted into a Style, at least they can with a Korg.

Watch this series of videos.

Reaction score
Just how effective recording an Arranger in a DAW is can be dependent upon the Arranger, since not all have compliant MIDI outputs.

You will find that a MIDI file created on an Arranger may require quite a bit of re-voicing since the DAW will not necessarily see the same voices as those used on the Arranger.

EG
In a Korg Arranger using the GM sounds will be more likely to result in a MIDI that does not require much additional work.

Ask a Question