Arturia minimoog Sound. Korg, Yamaha downloads

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Any idea of whether Korg or Yamaha has the potential for Minimoog sound library downloads?

Many thanks!

Chris

Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Korg and Yamaha both make numerous keyboards into which you can load custom samples. But a sample of an analog synth does not mean it plays/behaves like an analog synth. You could probably get closer to Minimoog sounds by taking advantage of the MIDI Zoning capabilities of many Korgs and Yamahas to drive something like a Roland SE-02 or Behringer D. The latter is a bit closer to a Minimoog, while the former gives you recallable presets. Neither of these is terribly expensive or takes up much space.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Downloads of what? Patches for sample based instruments or full blown VSTi's?

Any sample based Rompler can probably load Moog Samples, while various synth engines can do a pretty fair approximation of iconic Moog sounds.

Give Behringer another 6 months and they'll probably be shipping a minimoog clone at the rate they've been going. :D

In the meantime there are tons of decent VSTi's out there that can already do a flawless emulation of the minimoog and dozens of other vintage synths.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? Korg and Yamaha both make numerous keyboards into which you can load custom samples. But a sample of an analog synth does not mean it plays/behaves like an analog synth. You could probably get closer to Minimoog sounds by taking advantage of the MIDI Zoning capabilities of many Korgs and Yamahas to drive something like a Roland SE-02 or Behringer D. The latter is a bit closer to a Minimoog, while the former gives you recallable presets. Neither of these is terribly expensive or takes up much space.

Like I said earlier, depending on the synth in question both the montage and the kronos have multiple synth engines built in which can be programmed to behave like a Minimoog patch.

Even my ancient PC3K has some pretty credible Moog patches which were programmed in VAST. ;)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Give Behringer another 6 months and they'll probably be shipping a minimoog clone at the rate they've been going. :D
They already do. The Model D I mentioned, and the followup Poly D which adds some polyphony.

Like I said earlier, depending on the synth in question both the montage and the kronos have multiple synth engines built in which can be programmed to behave like a Minimoog patch.
That's why I asked what the goal is. Some people think a Montage or Kronos or PC3K can already sound like Moog. Then again, some people think these boards can sound like a Hammond. ;-) It depends just how authentic you're trying to be. Korg's virtual PolySix in the Kronos does sound awfully close to a PolySix. And PolySix was a great sounding analog synth. But a purist would tell you right away, a Polysix did not sound the same as a Minimoog. That said, the VA-ness of Korg's emulations may well give you more of the "moogy" character you're after than an actual Moog sample would. Again, it really depends on exactly what someone's goal is.

It's like when someone says they want to emulate a DX7. Some people really want to emulate a DX7. Others just mean they want that one godawful overused EP patch. ;-)

Reaction score
Thank you both happyrat1 and anotherscott. I am sorry, I was not thorough in my initial question. After some time of playing around with a Yamaha Montage & Genos, I decided I wanted a bit of a change around. Not long ago I got myself a Kawai MP11se which I will be using for my main board. I want to buy a second board which will be a Korg Kronos or Nautalis and a third but I am undecided as yet as to what that will be.

My question is I would like to get a sound library to play on either the Korg I buy or the third board. I want as much of the Minimoog as I can get but without buying a physical board. I know that the Kronos would emulate a Moog but are there any downloadable packages I could buy to use on the Korg. I just need a good sound library of Moog sounds.

Reaction score
My question is I would like to get a sound library to play on either the Korg I buy or the third board. I want as much of the Minimoog as I can get but without buying a physical board. I know that the Kronos would emulate a Moog but are there any downloadable packages I could buy to use on the Korg. I just need a good sound library of Moog sounds.

As you may know, the Minimoog didn't't have any factory programmed sounds in it whatsoever (it had no memory, for that matter). You turned the knobs to create the sound you wanted out of the parameters provided. But some of the sounds that people came up with ended up being widely emulated and/or used on hit songs. Kronos has a lot of Moog-type sounds already in it that will come reasonably close to those popular sounds, I wouldn't assume you need to buy a library, even if there is one. But if you're looking for particular Moog sounds (i.e. ones that were used on particular songs), you'd have to check to see if they are in there. There are also some high quality Minimoog emulators that run on the iPad, so that's another way you can access even better Minimoog emulation without havingf to buy another keyboard for it.

Reaction score
As you may know, the Minimoog didn't't have any factory programmed sounds in it whatsoever (it had no memory, for that matter). You turned the knobs to create the sound you wanted out of the parameters provided. But some of the sounds that people came up with ended up being widely emulated and/or used on hit songs. Kronos has a lot of Moog-type sounds already in it that will come reasonably close to those popular sounds, I wouldn't assume you need to buy a library, even if there is one. But if you're looking for particular Moog sounds (i.e. ones that were used on particular songs), you'd have to check to see if they are in there. There are also some high quality Minimoog emulators that run on the iPad, so that's another way you can access even better Minimoog emulation without havingf to buy another keyboard for it.
Perfect! thank you for that info!

Reaction score
Gadget does provide lots of cool stuff, but Minimoog emulation is not there AFAIK. Moog does make a Minimoog emulation app, though, and Arturia makes iMini.

Ask a Question