Attention keyboard experts! I need help looking for a good keyboard!

Reaction score
Hi. I am looking for a keyboard that you can use batteries instead of connecting it to the wall, but if there are some, I would like one smaller than 88 keys to be as portable as possible. Weighted keys don't matter much, but it would be good to have them. I want a keyboard mostly to be used as a digital piano with a really nice grand piano sound, and I probably won't care about any other technical details. Also, full-sized keys are a must. So which keyboards do you think would be good and what do you think about them?

What are you guy's take on the Casio CTX700? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794RNK5...olid=2K2GLKOPXGOO7&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm not too crazy about the new Casio CTX line since they stopped making keyboards with real DIN MIDI Ports.

Are built in speakers a dealbreaker?

If not, take a look at the Roland Juno DS61 or DS76 or the Korg Kross 61.

All of these can run on batteries and sound way better than the Casios.

The only drawback is you need a keyboard amp or monitors to go with it.

If you need battery power there are small keyboard amps that will run on batteries.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The Casio CTX 700 is at the very low end of the X series range and whilst it is a great keyboard for its price as to its suitability for you well that depends upon your skill level.

The CTX700 is $175 USD, others in the X series range are the CTX3000 at $300 and the CTX5000 at $450

Whereas the Roland and Korg that Gary quotes cost over $700 and neither has the built in amp and speakers that the Casio does.

As it is I transport my own Korg Kross 2 and a small battery powered Boss Kata Mini amp ($99 and half the size of a shoebox) to jam sessions where the Kross 2's small overall size and mere 9lbs in weight make it very light to carry.

Hence this is suitable for me but if piano sounds are all you are likely to use then a Digital Piano may well be a better buy such as a Yamaha NP 32 which is $280 runs on batteries and is less than 13 lbs, do note that there are other models available which may fit in better with your budget.

An Arranger or an Entertainer may also fit your needs starting with a Yamaha PSR E 463 at $280 or a Korg EK50 at $400.

Roland make what they call a Go Piano which at $320 may even be the best one for your needs with it being small, light and easily transported.

I have only considered keyboards that will totally run on batteries buy which can be powered via the mains if needed.

So maybe if you can tell us more about yourself and your budget we can tailor our suggestions to suit.

Ask a Question