Audio recording from keyboard

Reaction score
Bit difficult to explain what I would like to do. I would like to record a few notes at a time onto my PC. I know I can't record midi stuff, so what do I need. A cable out from my phones socket on the KB to the mic input on the PC? and then what 'very simple' preferably free! app would I need installed? I've downloaded Audicity would that work?
Sorry for all the questions from a newbie, but many thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Mic in on your PC/Laptop will let you record only mono. There's the Line in connection you can use to do stereo recordings.

I made a post about that on this forum so just take a look around

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and I found the thread - just what I needed. Any thoughts on using 'Audacity' for recording?

Reaction score
Haven't used that one, sorry. But if you need to record just a few notes like you said,
you need to switch your recording input to "LINE IN" and hit the record button inAudacity.

That should do it :)

Reaction score
Many thanks for all that info. Bought the lead, did the windows thing, loaded 'Audacity' and bingo - all systems go. Now the hard bit - composing! :D
I may be some time ;)

Reaction score
I used Audacity before I got Cubase. It's got just about everything you need to start recording your work, and has got some good production tools as well. An excellent package, considering it's free!

Reaction score
Many thanks for all that info. Bought the lead, did the windows thing, loaded 'Audacity' and bingo - all systems go. Now the hard bit - composing! :D
I may be some time ;)

There you go! Glad you got it to work. Now do some recordings and post them here :D

Ask a Question