AX-Edge Arpeggitor tempo?

Reaction score
So I finally got the editor app to work, but even with the app and the Paramater Guide there appears to be no way whatsoever to adjust the Arpeggiator speed. You can change the value from 1/16 to 1/8 notes etc but how do you change the tempo?

I changed the System tempo on the System menu, but the arpeggiator stays the same regardless.

Seriously? The Arpeggiator does't match the System tempo? The ability to change the arpeggiator speed is not something new, it's been pretty basic since the 90s! Either it's unable to perform this basic function, or the function is buried so deeply I can't find it anywhere. So I feel it necessary to ask- What exactly is wrong with the programmers at Roland? I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but this is insane!

(Edit) I found it thanks to the tutorial video. Tempo is under program edit- NOT under Arpeggio efit where it should be. This is an extremely sloppy bit of programming, and it's totally counter-intuitive, which is what I've come to expect from Roland.I don't understand this- their sounds are incredible but their interfaces are awful! Why is this? Does anyone have some insight into what goes on over at Roland?

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't know-- maybe they were thinking that the Tempo setting affects the entire program or patch, and not just the Arpeggio?

My Yamaha keyboards are basically the same way, in that Tempo is an overall system parameter that affects all sorts of things-- not just the arpeggio speed, but also the auto accompaniment speed, song playback speed, and MIDI clock rate.

Reaction score
What exactly is wrong with the programmers at Roland?

Whilst I have no insight into what goes on at Roland, my guess would be "absolutely nothing".

My Korg Krome operates exactly the same way. The tempo is pinned to the each individual patch.

Makes perfect sense for live use - I don't want to have to manually change the ARP tempo each time I change sounds during a set.

Reaction score
My Korg Kross has a tempo knob.

My main complaint (with all tech copanies except Korg) is that things are not intuitive. This is why I couldn't work with a Roland synth years ago, because important basic functions are deeply buried and you'll never find them using logic or common sense.

I've been using synths for decades- I should be able to find the Arpeggiator speed on my own without watching a tutorial video- in this case, Part 2 of the tutorial video- it should be placed somewhere where it can be found using some common sense and experience. To be fair, Roland has done some things very well with the Favorites buttons and the shortcuts (and especially with the FX not cutting off) I know there can't be a separate knob for everything, but basic functions need to be more obvious, and deeper functions should be buried.

For example- in order to get to the parameters I actually use I must scroll through the tuning of A, A#, B, C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, and G#. Why aren't these buried under a folder or menu for Tuning instead? There a lots of people who make their own scales and use alternate tunings, but many of us don't. Yet each of these fiddly parameters is given the same importance of position as Level or Pan.
My laptop works the same way- when I right-click I get all sorts of obscure commands such as "Inspect" or "Writing Direction" (which I will almost certainly never, ever use) These obscure commands are given equal weight as "Cut", "Paste", and "Save As".

If I could get the Tech or Pro Audio industries to listen to just one thing it would be this- take the time to consult a few end-users (laymen, Muggles, whatever term you prefer) and make your operating system intuitive so it's not a huge, confusing chore to actually use it.

Reaction score
My Korg Kross has a tempo knob.
So does the Krome, but the tempo is still pinned to the patch. Suspect it is with the Kross too.

My point is this actually makes way more sense for live performers therefore I wouldn't be beating up Roland for adopting the same approach. Particularly with a keytar which I imagine is designed exclusively for live use, given it's more about a certain look.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
On the other hand, I like the idea of grouping functions into submenus rather than just having one long menu. My Yamaha PSR-E keyboards are like that-- one big, long menu that you must scroll through, one function after the other, just to get to the specific function you want to change.

Ask a Question