Baba Oreilly Intro

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a keyboard/synthesizer. I've always wanted to play and record Baba Oreilly. What kind of functionality will I need in a keyboard to achieve this? I appreciate any help. I currently have a YDP-233 Yamaha digital piano and Hammond A-100 somewhat restored, but as you know, while these are wonderful instruments, they will not do what I want. I know I need to go somewhere and play around, but just looking for some help. Thanks!

Reaction score
You will want to use your synth, even though the original was made on a "Lowery Organ", it's a misnomer, as the organ is a completely oscillator-based instrument unlike the Hammond, which included an LFO to produce the repeated note effect.

Take a look at the above tutorials, the first one does a very good job of showing how it is performed, as well as explaining how to make it. A few things to note:

- You'll want to tie a controller (I use the mod wheel) to the LFO speed. About 2/3rds the way through the song, after the last "chorus", the tempo slows down quite a bit. I setup my mod wheel so that all the way down is the normal fast speed, and all the way up is the slower speed. The song picks up during the violin solo, but since I play the violin solo, I've long since left the arpeggios behind, so I don't worry about it then.

- There's no magic bullet to get the sound of the Lowery patch. Some of the above tuts will get you close, but every synth sounds a bit different. Unfortunately, there's a certain "magic" from the Lowery sound that I've never been able to reproduce on any synth, analog, digital, or software. Keep in mind that being an organ, it's likely an additive synthesis structure, so I find that certain "additive" waveforms work better than standard square waves, although there is no standard naming conventions for additive waveforms, so you'll have to play around a bit.

- A little more controversial: if you can talk your band mates OUT of you playing the fiddle solo on a fiddle patch, I recommend it. It sounds amazing on a vintage monosynth, like a mellow filtered sawtooth. In contrast, most solo violin patches, even good ones, sound/look silly on a keyboard, IMO. I don't mind it on jokey drunken tunes like "Come on Eieleen" and Dropkick Murphy's, but Baba O'Riley's kinda serious music, and it just feels weird on a hackney'd sampled fiddle. If I wanted to schlep my Seaboard to bar gigs, that would be another matter, but I don't. Unfortunately, I couldn't convince my mates into my playing it on a synth patch, so I just grin and bare it. But if you can, do yourself the favor!

Ask a Question