Backing track solutions

Reaction score
I've just got the MD job of a new project. Just me and a singer, we're doing it as a two piece; I'm on drums for half the set, and keys for the other half. So yeh, obviously we'll be running track.

Just wondering if any of you guys have had to do something along these lines, and what way did you go about it? Initial thought was a macbook, for doing the stems aswell, but I can do that on my computer, and it's a little pricey just to run tracks from.

So I was thinking about getting a decent CD player/hard-drive player. Just want something that'll have decent quality outputs. Don't really trust using just an ipod.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
iPod, mp3 player, old minidisc - anything that makes it easy to cue stuff with no moving parts (like a CD player).

CDs jump.

If you've an old VHS player - output is usually good. Tapes are cheap.

mp3s are the easiest/cheapest. Quality will be fine for what you're doing.

Have a backup (ready to go - A/B switch or something like that) that you can easily reach from where you're playing.

Late 80s early 90s DATs were common. SoundOnSound mentioned DA88s on one of the Robbie Williams tours. Theses days mp3 players are cheap as chips - get one (and a backup) that's easy to operate in live/stage conditions - and you'll be sorted.

Good luck.

Ask a Question