Backup over NS388: NS2EX76 vs SV1 73

Reaction score
Hello everyone.
I'm currently living in two places 300 km away.
I have a Nord Stage 3 88 which is a wonderful keyboard, but I can't move it here and there plus it's not a "dirty jam" keyboard due to its cost and weight.
I'm searching for a jam-ready backup: NS2 EX 76 and Korg SV1 73 came to my mind, the former winning in flexibility and schlep factor, the latter money wise.
At the moment, I found a used NS2EX76 at about 1.8k euros around my place, is it a good price?
Open to advices.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
While you may not have considered it, a Casio Privia PX-5S meets your needs nicely for a jam ready keyboard. Weighs in around 25 lbs and not only has really nice pianos built in but also has a fairly comprehensive synth engine and sequencer as well.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
My main concern with Casio samples are EPs, they are nowhere near Nord's ones in my opinion. Plus, organ sounds quite flat.

Reaction score
38 lbs for the Korg and 27 lbs for the Nord still are a lot to heave around plus you will need an amp and even more weight to carry around if you do not have one at your Jam location.

Can I suggest that you consider alternative keyboards with less keys?

I have a Korg Kross 2 (only 8 1/1 lbs ) and a small Amp which I take to Jam sessions, OK the sound is not as good as a Nord but it cannot be beaten for ease of mobility.

As another alternative have a look at a Korg PA 1000 arranger, everything all built into one keyboard including onboard 33W stereo amp and speakers and all in at 22 lbs

Other similar keyboards are available from Roland and Yamaha.

Reaction score
Reaction score
Artis and Artis SE are discontinued. Artis SE is bettered by SP6 in pretty much every way anyway. Artis has some advantages. But either way, SP6 is much lighter and probably has better action. Also better EPs, which seem to be a concern here.

Reaction score
First things first: if I manage to get the stage 2 ex 76 in perfect conditions at 1,7k €, isn't it a bargain?
I reviewed all the keyboards you mentioned.
- Casio PX-5S: I've being hating Casio's (and Roland's as well) APs and organs for a long time, didn't seem to get better with this
- Kross 2: if I got it right, the strength of this keyboard is in the sequencer/workstation capabilities, I'm more focused on pure sound quality which doesn't seem extraordinary
- PA 1000 is an arranger, not really a plug and play machine, which is no go for me
- Artis is quite an old concept keyboard; plus some stuff as EPs (specially effects on them) and organs seem completely off to me

Reaction score
- Casio PX-5S: I've being hating Casio's...APs and organs for a long time, didn't seem to get better with this
I'd agree, weak for organ and not so great for AP, though there's a downloadable variant that I think improves it some

- Kross 2: if I got it right, the strength of this keyboard is in the sequencer/workstation capabilities, I'm more focused on pure sound quality which doesn't seem extraordinary
For piano and organ, I'd say it's at least no better than PX5S.

PA 1000 is an arranger, not really a plug and play machine, which is no go for me
I don't know the PA 1000, but arrangers can generally work as "plain" keyboards as well, you can ignore their arranger features, just as you can ignore sequencers in the workstations, and just play the sounds.

Artis is quite an old concept keyboard; plus some stuff as EPs (specially effects on them) and organs seem completely off to me
SP6 has improved EPs compared to Artis, possibly organ as well. Kurz organs aren't the best but they're not bad. Nord may be the only brand that has notably better organs in a hammer action board. Maybe Korg Kronos.

Bottom line, though, is no low-priced, lightweight, hammer action board is going to be as good for pianos and organs as Nord, Even the SV1 you mention has better EP but weaker piano and organ, and is not light. SP6 is probably as close as you get. Kawai MP7/MP7SE is pretty nice and good value for money, but not light.

Whatever you get, you might also consider supplementing your sounds with an iPad or whatever to shore up the weaknesses.

As for whether that's a good price on that Nord, check your local eBay site, look at "sold listings" and see what they've gone for lately.

Ask a Question