Bad MIDI reception from a new MODX88 to Pro Tools 12.5

Reaction score
I use both a new Yamaha MODX88 and an older Korg M50 with 88 keys while recording to Pro Tools. The pro tools was initially set up in 2015, witha slight upgrade to 12.5 after a computer system crash. The midi connections are hooked up thru the USB ports on both keyboards. When recording I like to record the sounds from both of these instruments as well as a Midi stream. The M-50 midi works well with a consistent stream, but the MODX midi stream is very spotty and clunky sounding with lots of drop outs when played back. The computer that pro tools is installed in is a 2011 Macbook Pro 10.15.7 Catalina with 16gig Ram. The midi data is used for virtual instruments residing in the computer, both the Air pro tools instruments and an East West orchestral collection. I'd also like to set up both keyboards as external modules, so that I can record the Midi stream, edit it and play it back from either of the MODX or M-50 onboard sounds. Right now, with the crappy midi from the MODX, that is not possible with the MODX.
What can be done to fix this, so that I can fully utilize the MODX and pro tools together?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm speculating here, but my guess is the crappy Yamaha ASIO driver.

Try removing it and running with built in class compliant drivers instead.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
On an Apple?

Did you have to install a Yamaha driver when you first hooked it up?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
ASIO drivers allow both audio and MIDI on the same USB line.

That might be slowing you down, causing latency.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the yamaha drivers auto detected and installed, a workaround would be to sidestep the USB connection entirely and use a generic USB MIDI adapter instead.

Your Mac is too old and slow to process audio on usb at the same time as MIDI.

Reaction score
Perfect. So the computer is slothful? The older Korg M-50 works fine as a midi driver but not the MODX. So the newer MODX needs either a driver installed or a generic USB MIDI adapter?
Now I am actually coming out the stereo L & R jacks in the back of both keyboards for the sound of each keyboard, not relying on sound thru the USB. I don't think the M-50 has sound thru the USB.

Reaction score
The computer is not too old for this, and a yamaha driver would not have auto-installed (and would not be needed to do what you want). Start with typical troubleshooting stuff...
... Does the problem occur with the MODX by itself? (i.e. no other USB devices connected to your Mac, except what may be required for Pro Tools)
... Does the problem occur with a different USB cable? (try the cable that works fine with your M50)
... Does the problem occur regardless of which USB port you use? (try plugging it in where your M50 was plugged in)
... Does the problem occur in other software, or only in Pro Tools?

Last edited:

Ask a Question