Band camp. What do you think?

Reaction score
I've been thinking about setting up a Bandcamp site or whatever it would be called. Have any of you done this? I have a lot of my songs already on SoundCloud but it doesn't pay me a dime and I thought it would be nice to get paid once in a while for my music.
Any advice?
If I have to close my SoundCloud account in order to get paid a bit it might be worth it but I also enjoy the fact that people are at least listening even if I'm not getting paid. But I DO like getting paid. So far I've had close to 7,000 listens on SoundCloud. That's not a lot by any stretch but if I was to get a nickel for each time, at least I could have bought a beer in a cheap bar!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I put up an album on Bandcamp last February.

My only sale so far has been to a cousin in Austria who took pity on me :p

Before that I had a few thousand plays on Soundcloud and felt the same way.

Consider it a fishing expedition.

If you have the stomach to shamelessly badger your friends and relatives on Facebook and other social media to earn $10 once or twice a year then by all means throw your hook into the water :D :D :D

As for me, I just leave it up there now more or less out of spite.

The trick is getting your stuff seen.

Nowadays my main venue is Youtube with links to my Bandcamp album begging people to support the artist.

Music today is the cheapest commodity known to man. Cheaper even than clean air.

Face it. Nobody bothers to pay for music any longer. They either load up a commercial free two hour concert on Youtube or else they might blow a few bux a year on a Spotify or iTunes account that lets them listen to anyone they want anytime, anywhere they want. :p

I've been promoting my stuff in my signature for years and while I still get a lot of hits, they are mostly youtube listens and drive by hits on bandcamp where they hear it once or twice for free and never buy.

To paraphrase L Ron Hubbard, "Anyone who thinks they're going to get rich at 99 cents a song ought to have their heads examined." :D :D :D

And in the immortal words of Charlie Chan... "Rotsa Ruck Jack!" :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Quick question then. Do you yourself buy cd's? I do. Several very year but I also know that I'm in the minority. As an artist, I don't feel right about ripping other artists off. Yes I do let people listen to my music for free but that's my choice.
As for Bandcamp, I'm just curious. I got a spam the other day from some guy who says he can garenty 100 Plays on internet radio! For free! Wow! Then I have to pay to get my music played. Hmmmm. Somethin' smells fishy here!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all, yes I've bought over 1000 music CDs over the years. I DO believe in supporting the artist if I like their songs.

Secondly, definitely a scam. Internet radio operators these days pay royalties to the RIAA somewhat equivalent to spotify or itunes.

The clown should be paying you, not asking for kickback :p

Anyway, whoop de doo. So he does webcasting. So do about 20,000 others on Shoutcast and Tunein and Xiph and Live365 and Slacker Radio :p

Getting music sold to the public these days is literally the old "throwing a hot dog down a hallway" problem..

Your ONLY hope, and I mean ONLY, of getting noticed is to either have an affair with Ariana Grande, OR, produce a video that somehow manages to go viral.

The idiot who did Gangnam Style is now a multi millionaire after over a BILLION views of his video.

Dass hit, Dass hall, Dass henuff...

Gary ;)

Ask a Question