Basic live set up with Native Instruments b4II

Reaction score
Hi
I want to try getting a Hammond sound via Native Instruments B4 II, a laptop and two midi controller keyboards. I also have an E-MU 0202 audio/midi interface. Eventually I want to try playing live with this set-up. I have a couple of newbie questions. If you could take time just to answer one I would be grateful. I've found many posts on this site very useful so hopefully this could make a good archive thread for other newbies.

1. Does anyone know if Native Instruments B4 II works with Windows Vista 32-bit? I've seen conflicting reports.
2. Can anyone sketch a simple map for a live – rather than recording - set up?
3. Is the audio/midi interface vital, desirable or not required?
4. In a live situation what actually plugs into the amp? The computer? The E-MU? The keyboard?
5. I'm thinking about the M-Audio Oxygen 49 as it has sliders which can be used as drawbars but are some midi controller keyboards geared for use in recording only and therefore useless for live work? I'm thinking about outputs etc.
6. Do midi controllers sap processing power from the computer? Therefore does using two sap more processing power than using one?
7. Can I use two different controllers with the software? Say the M-Audio Oxygen 49 and a CME UF5?
8. I've got an Akai MPD24 midi pad control unit. Could I run use the M-Audio Oxygen 49 plus the Akai sliders controlling a much more basic keyboard?
9. Does anyone know of a 49 note controller with a port for a swell pedal?

Reaction score
Whew, that almost reminds me of some tests I've had to take (lol).
OK, here's what I can add in general (from personal experience).
You will be disappointed if you try to use an internal laptop sound card, which
means you need an interface that provides both mid (in) and audio (out).
The audio output routes to your stage amo or monitor.
Stay away from USB, and look for a quality firewire interface that provides both audio and midi. (I found a unused Tascam Fireone on Ebay for $100, and it works great with no latency or glitches).
Be sure your laptop has USB 2.0 and good processor muscle before you hook any USB device to it.

Ok, all that said, if you don't have the laptop set-up I recommend you rethink
that for live use and consides spending the $$ for a good used late model Korg CX3
Hamond clone. I have both a good working laptop set-up, and the CX3.
For live use, the CX3 is clearly the winner.
Hope this helps.
B3

Reaction score
Hi B3
Thanks for that. Sorry it took a while to respond - I've had difficulty logging in recently. Maybe I'll take another look for a CX3.
Out of interest if I went the laptop route do you know how many keyboard controllers you can use with B4II? Could I use two and maybe pedals? Or can you only use one?
Thanks again for your response.
Best wishes,
Richard.

Reaction score
You’re welcome. No apology needed as I normally don’t have
access to check the forum myself during the week.

Well, a real B3 has an upper manual, lower manual, and pedals.
NIB4ll is set-up just like the real B3. So yes, you can use
two midi controller and pedals with midi output.

You set B4ll to receive midi on different midi channels for
upper, lower, and pedals.
Then you just merge the midi input from each of the controllers via
midi merge box, then connect the midi cord from the merge box “out”
to your computer midi interface.

I have my doubts about how well multiple USB inputs might work,
but don’t know that it will definitely cause a problem. With a strong
processor , and USB 2.0 on your laptop, you might not have a problem.

My computer has a P4 2.4 GHZ, but only USB 1.0 , so I had no luck
trying to use the USB for interface or controllers.

Don

Reaction score
With my software mellotron setup I use both a midi controller and an audio interface via USB 2.0. I have had no problems with latency. At first I ran it on a laptop that had a 2.4 GHZ processor speed, and I am currently using it with a 2.66 GHZ laptop.

B3 is right about the CX3 being the better choice for live use. From personal experience with carting around a midi controller, audio interface, and laptop to gigs (all of which must be handled with great care during transportation, for all are fragile,) can be a hassle. But sometimes you don't have a choice when the actual keyboard counterpart to the software you're using is priced around $6,000U.S. Disregarding quality of sound, it's easier to haul one board rather that several components. Right now there are a couple of the vintage Korg CX3s on ebay going for around $600U.S.
FJ

Reaction score
I suppose I should clarify that I do routinely use my laptop with NIB4, Pianoteq,
and a couple of other general use programs. I just do not use it "live" for gigging.
These days I don't gig that much, but actively write and record music with some friends. I use the laptop when I am at their studio to put down rough tracks
of material we're working on. For that need, it works great for me and the quality is
pretty good.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
I take your point about portability etc.
There's a thirty year old CX3 on E-bay here in UK which makes it c. 1979 / 1980. Are these models any good? Or should I be looking for an newer one?

Ask a Question