Basic piano keyboard

Reaction score
My granddaughter just started piano lessons. I’m looking for a basic, no frills, no added instruments, sound effects, synthesizers etc. I’ve been researching and just looking at some of the keyboards is overwhelming with all the added features.

Reaction score
If a used digital board is not offensive to you or your granddaughter, here is a nice board, at a good price from a reputable dealer:

It does have other features that you are not looking for but its strong point is its acoustic piano and weighted keyboard feel.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You can ignore any and all lower cost keyboards with 61 or 76 keys, this will leave keyboards which have 88 keys and except for very few sub $1000 keyboards what is left is a Digital Piano (DP).

Also ignore any that does not have onboard amp and speakers and the you will have far less to deal with.

So now you basically have digital pianos made by Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kawai.

My suggestion would be to go with a Yamaha P125 or if this is above budget then a Yamaha P45.

Casio models are limited with only a CDPS160, but @ $999 a PX360 does have more onboard than a basic digital piano and is one that has growth potential.

Roland, FP10, FP30X, my own choice would be a FP E50 which does have more features and again growth potential, but imo it does the best keybed action in sub $1000 DP’s

Kawai ES120 which regularly tops the Reviews.

All the above is for New DP’s

Reaction score
You can ignore any and all lower cost keyboards with 61 or 76 keys, this will leave keyboards which have 88 keys and except for very few sub $1000 keyboards what is left is a Digital Piano (DP).

Also ignore any that does not have onboard amp and speakers and the you will have far less to deal with.

So now you basically have digital pianos made by Yamaha, Roland, Korg and Kawai.

My suggestion would be to go with a Yamaha P125 or if this is above budget then a Yamaha P45.

Casio models are limited with only a CDPS160, but @ $999 a PX360 does have more onboard than a basic digital piano and is one that has growth potential.

Roland, FP10, FP30X, my own choice would be a FP E50 which does have more features and again growth potential, but imo it does the best keybed action in sub $1000 DP’s

Kawai ES120 which regularly tops the Reviews.

All the above is for New DP’s
Thank you

Reaction score
That reads like the DP-E50 has a better action than those other two, but from the specs, it looks like all three have the same action.

I’m looking for a basic, no frills, no added instruments, sound effects, synthesizers etc. I’ve been researching and just looking at some of the keyboards is overwhelming with all the added features.
While Dave's suggestion of that used PX5S is a good value, it doesn't meet that criteria of no frills (or let's say, as few as possible, since it's basically impossible to find something with none). He may have been assuming that you wanted no frills because you didn't want to pay more for things you didn't care about, so that looked appealing as a way to get lots of other stuff without really paying more for it, but you may prefer no frills for other reasons, and that board's got a ton of them. Plus as Biggles said, you likely want something with speakers, and that board doesn't have them. That's important because, without built-in speakers, she'll be limited to using headphones, or you'd have to also buy an amp for it, which is additional expense and clutter, and something else she'd have to turn on and off separately every time she used it. Plus the low-cost amps generally provide an inferior playing experience compared to built-in speakers.

I pretty much agree with Biggles' post, except that again the FP-E40 and PX360 have plenty of frills. I'll also mention another in the Casio line, the PX-S1100, which is another nearly no-frills model, and has upgraded piano sound and feel compared to the CDP-S360. Also, he mentioned Korg but did not give you a model number, the model of theirs to look at would be the B2. Korg doesn't seem to get recommended as often as Yamaha/Roland/Casio/Kawai, but I wouldn't overlook that one in your comparisons.

Lastly, you'll need something to put it on, so factor some kind of stand into your purchase as well. There are generic stands, but also, most if not all of these models have aesthetically pleasing matching stands available, which may be preferable, especially if this is going in a living room, for example. Sometimes those stands include pedals units, which are neater, stay in place, and can be more faithful to a "real" piano experience in feel/functionality. Sometimes pedal units are included with the stand, sometimes it's a separate purchase from the stand, sometimes it's not available. The Korg is a little different from the others because instead of having those things available as separate purchases, they sell an alternate model (B2SP) which is the piano with those things included.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you want to crack the whip and turn the little darlin' into Rachmaninoff with no deviations from the lesson plan then buy her the most Basic Casio P-160 and watch her cry with boredom within 6 months for something better.

If you are sure she'll stick with it then spend a few extra bux and buy her a professional quality stage piano and save yourself having to upgrade within a year or so.

Big question. Do you want her to learn how to hate music or do you want her to have fun with it?

This applies to all ages from 8 to 80 :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Scott, it is the E50’s Arranger features which interest me, the action is the same as the FP30X.
I figured that was the case, it was just ambiguous in the way it was written. We wouldn't want the OP thinking it had a better action as well. ;-)

Reaction score
My granddaughter just started piano lessons. I’m looking for a basic, no frills, no added instruments, sound effects, synthesizers etc. I’ve been researching and just looking at some of the keyboards is overwhelming with all the added features.
Greetings,

Weighted keys and a true piano sound seem to me as being essential.

Providing an at home practicing experience which resembles lessons is important for technique and enjoying the musical tonality of piano. There are some fantastic options at obviously different price ranges. And I would equally look into the used market.

Mid-Range Options:

Yamaha makes some fantastic digital pianos, such as the P-series.
Alesis Recital, is also a good beginner digital piano.

Nearly all digital pianos will include a few extra orchestral sounds and the like, this can also inspire a musician into new genre’s and also help keep them inspired with creation of an expansive experience.

Remember that learning to play an instrument is more than just the notes we hear. Each instrument has to also be “learned”, now distant memories of practicing scales and arpeggios for hours built up the finger strength and muscle memory unique to playing a real piano. Which then brings intonations and feeling into any playing style.

Best of success to your grand-daughter

PEACE

Last edited:
Reaction score
1. What Gary said !
2. Then follow up with Biggles #3 post.
I purchased the Yamaha P125 for myself and their suspend pedal.
Having run out of Covid money, I had to manufacture my own stand.
For your information, I'm an adult beginner.
I've never come to regret my purchase or any of the advice received from this forum.
Cheers!

Ask a Question