BASIC Question about Kurzweil K2 series

Reaction score
Hello All -

I'm a novice with keyboards, but thinking about purchasing a used K2xxx. I think probably the model really doesn't matter for purposes of this question, but I have the downloaded manuals and I've looked at YouTube videos, etc., but I can't find a clear explanation. Maybe someone here can enlighten me, or perhaps point me to the right reading.

Some of the available keyboards have optional ROM boards, e.g., stereo piano and/or vintage electric pianos, and some don't, so I'm trying to understand the tradeoffs. I understand that sample RAM is volatile, so any samples in sample RAM disappear at power-down. And from my reading, it appears that any programs using those samples will remain, but will not sound, until the samples are reloaded.

So here's my question: Is it accurate to say that if I can live with having to reload samples at power-up, I really don't need the expensive optional ROM boards? It appears that people love the Kurzweil sounds, so I recognize that I might not get EXACTLY those same sounds, because potentially, neither the samples nor the programming are the same as on the ROM boards. Are there other disadvantages to being without the ROM boards, aside from having to reload samples?

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question