Bass amp instead of Keyboard Amp

Reaction score
I'm running a Nord Electro 3 but through an old peavy kb-100 amp - the sound out of the amp is not great.

I've been looking to upgrade and have seen the usual:

Behringer K1800FX Ultratone Keyboard Amp
and
Roland KC350

but have not been impressed with some of the reviews I have found, I am now wondering whether to think outside of the box a little and hook up with a decent bass amp instead for two reasons:
i) you seem to get more value for money
ii) more choice on the market

ok so a bass amp isn't going to have 4 inputs or and XLR in, but other than that what's the difference??

any one else been through a similar dilemma??

Thanks

Andy

Reaction score
Keyboard amps generally have a wider dynamic range, from very high frequencies to sub-bass whereas bass amps are designed for mainly low frequencies. The ideal amp for keyboards is something where there's a horn and a substantial speaker, say 15". You would be limited by a bass amp as it only generally has the bass horn and as you mentioned it only has one or two inputs. You may save a few quid but with a great keyboard like the Electro 3 you wouldn't be doing it justice by limiting its dynamic range.

Reaction score
I suggest you do a lot of searches and reading on the topic of amps and speaker systems for keyboards. There are a ton of options out there, mostly dependent on what you need and how much money you can spend. From experience, I prefer
the frequency response/sound I can get from a good smaller 2-way, (or even better, 3-way) PA cabinet. JBL and MAkie make some powered PA speakers that have had positive comments from other keyboardists. Of course, PA cabinets and amps have to be hauled around and the take up space(add to your stage footprint).
Of the self contained amplifiers, the Traynor and Motion Sound both get pretty good comments. I have a (stereo) Motion Sound KP200S to use for a stage monitor, and it is pretty good but lacks on power and bass response..........they now had a 500 watt version which is probably a big improvement. I don't like the sound of my digital pianos through that amp, but it only weighs 57 pounds and I can haul it in the trunk of my car.
Don

Reaction score
Oh, I also have an old KB100 that i used for a practice amp. I changed out the speakers and added a horn with cross-over which was a hugh improvement. But,
I salvaged those parts from another old cabinet. If I'd had to buy the parts it wouldn't be worth the effort or cost. A better amp is the way to go!

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your input guys,

b3maniac, the traynor and motion sound amps are hard to come by over here - but will def look at getting one imported over. Tha powered PA speakers is great idea too!!

thanks

Reaction score
Hey thanks for your input guys,

b3maniac, the traynor and motion sound amps are hard to come by over here - but will def look at getting one imported over. Tha powered PA speakers is great idea too!!

thanks

I used to use a pair of JBL EON15 G2's as a keyboard rig, in stereo - great sound but a little much to drag around... then I started using a Motion Sound KP200s - fantastic sound for keys but a little underpowered for larger band situations, bar bands, wedding bands, etc...

I recently invested in a pair of QSC K12's - powered PA cabinets, to use for a killer keyboard rig and also as PA mains sometimes... they sound fantastic and have power out the wazoo. The QSC K10's are also very good, just a little smaller and slightly less bass response - I hope to get a pair of them eventually for smaller gigs and/or to use as stage monitors if the K12's are used for PA mains.

Don't shortchange yourself and get a bass amp - your sound will not be as good... do yourself a favor, invest in quality amplification & run it in stereo, such as one of the following options:
  • Motion Sound KP200S or the new KP500N
  • Pair of JBL EONs or PRX series active PA sprks.
  • Pair of QSC K series active PA spkrs. (K12, K10)
  • Pair of EV SxA360 active PA spkrs.
...none of which are cheap - plus you'll need a small mixer to run the PA cabinets if you wind up w/a pair of those... still an investment in quality sound reproduction is a good one - because no matter what keyboard you're using, whether it's a Nord Electro, or a Yamaha S90XS (I have the S90ES), or a Korg M50, whatever... they will all sound their best thru decent sound gear & will sound best in stereo. ;)

Reaction score
I played with a bass amp, I was desperate for more volume. however, the result was kinda weird. about half way into the song i realized it was using a bass amp, and adjusted my style.

Reaction score
I'm running a Nord Electro 3 but through an old peavy kb-100 amp - the sound out of the amp is not great.

I've been looking to upgrade and have seen the usual:

Behringer K1800FX Ultratone Keyboard Amp
and
Roland KC350

but have not been impressed with some of the reviews I have found, I am now wondering whether to think outside of the box a little and hook up with a decent bass amp instead for two reasons:
i) you seem to get more value for money
ii) more choice on the market

ok so a bass amp isn't going to have 4 inputs or and XLR in, but other than that what's the difference??
you might wantto look ata set of powered speakers like the alto 110's they have 200 watts of power for each speaker and they can be hooke yp to your keyboard for stero broadcast I look ata couple of amps before I went and explored powered loud speakers they are much better then a amp
any one else been through a similar dilemma??

Thanks

Andy

Ask a Question