battery powered weighted keys

Reaction score
HI all,
I may be hunting for the holy grail but do these two features ever turn up on the same keyboard? Possibilities I've come across so far are WIlliams allegro/legato and roland Juno ds88 (fairly expensive). Any thoughts on these or other suggestions? Thanks, Scott.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I think only the entry level kb's are ac/dc.
But all advanced models fully professional and semi professional work stations and the like are always ac only.

Why do you want battery power?

Battery models are of the low grade / budget units. You can't expect high grade performance from these. . . So ask yourself why the need for batteries?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
One caveat.

Casio does not recommend running the PX-5S on rechargeable batteries. It recommends alkaline only.

All the same I think it's capable of running 5 or 6 hours on a set of AA's.

Pair it up with a small battery powered amp and you're good to go.

Or a different alternative is getting a computer type Uninterruptable Power Supply and plugging your keys into that. Really any of these battery powered inverter bricks would do in a pinch.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Want the battery power for my son to busk. He's been learning for years on acoustic pianos and has got very good. Now he has hit teenage-hood and wants some cash. We live in a sleepy port town that has a large number of cruise ships through so it's a good opportunity to make some money safely while honing his performance chops. All those years on an acoustic has him desiring weighted keys ... I thought about going inverters etc and using his existing weighted keyboard but it all gets very heavy very quickly so have started looking for weighted with batteries :) Appreciate anymore help people have- meanwhile I'll check out the casio mentioned. Thanks

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
good for jamming with your best buds on top of a mountain, or around a roaring fire on the beach at night with a cooler full of brewskis. ;)
Street musician
Okay . . Good answers!
I didn't give it much thought.
You can see I am comfortable in my own cocoon with the luxury of electicity.;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Another battery powered weighted hammer action keyboard came to mind.

The Korg Kross 88.

Comparable in price to the Casio PX-5S so I'd try and audition them side by side if I were you to see which has the best sounds.

I think that pretty much exhausts the list of what's out there and battery powered in 88 Keyboards.

Not sure if the new Roland FA-08 can take batteries or not but it's also twice the price of the Korg or the Casio.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Was exploring Gary's idea with an inverter and saw Pianomanchuck on Youtube doing this:
This looks the business - now it's just what is the lightest weighted keyboard? The Privia px350 looks to be about 24-5 lbs - pretty good. Thanks Gary.

Ask a Question