Beginner here. I would like some reccomendations for my next purchase.

Reaction score
I really like playing my piano, but it's almost featurless and bland: i can just record some tunes and change from a variety of 8 sounds.
I'm now considering buying a more advanced keyboard, which can connect to my pc and make music with, and also use custom sounds imported from my computer. I'm kinda a beginner so i don't know if i need a MIDI or synth or what not.
My budget is 350 €.
Please help.

Reaction score
Welcome.

As you have a digital piano its keybed will be totally different to that in an Arranger/Workstation/Synth keyboard which will probably only have 61 keys and what is termed a synth action keybed hence probably very different to what you are used to.

I suggest you checkout a Studiologic SL, the model comes in two versions a Studio at c370€ with a Fatar TP/100LR keybed and the more expensive Grand which has a more acoustic piano like ivory feel wooden keys. Onboard both models have 250 sounds and four programmable zones. They also have USB host and a full set of MIDI ports.

There is a Yamaha that could fit your needs, an EW410 which has 76 keys, over 750 onboard sounds also has arranger functions onboard plus recording capabilities and it should be within or close to your budget. Even a £500 Casio S1000 only has 18 onboard sounds which make the Studiologic SL range to have more vfm.

Most digital pianos within your budget are very limited in their onboard sounds and you have to get to a Yamaha DGX 670, Casio S3000, Korg XE20 level and price range before you get a large number of onboard sounds and arranger functions

If you can then visiting a well stocked music store and trying whatever you can lay your hands on will help.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Honestly he doesn't need to spend a dime on a new board.

All he needs are a few soft synths and he can use his board as a controller.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I just want to know: can i import custom sounds to these keyboards? Can i use them for quick music production?
Sorry if i'm being repetitive, but with all those models i'm getting a little lost.

Reaction score
A MIDI keyboard controller is just a dumb keyboard, that does not have the capability to add onboard sounds if it did it becomes an arranger/synth/workstation/ digital piano.

When using your digital piano connected to a computer it is the instrument sounds that are on the computer that you will use, they stay on the computer and your digital piano is simply a trigger for those sounds.

Do you have an iPad? If you do t may be a simpler method of expanding your DP.

I had a Yamaha P121 digital piano which has a handful of onboard sounds and had my iPad connected to it to use the DAW apps and synth apps.

Soft synth apps are a pain to use, simply adjusting the various virtual knobs and sliders becomes annoying, you cannot beat physical controls. That said they could be useful for getting to know how to use synths. Trying to go this route via a laptop or desktop computer is a very steep learning curve.

Ask a Question