Beginner here

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a beginner and started learning keyboard online in 2016. I've been reading a piano-focused forum for a while, learnt lots, but realized that I'm more interested in pop/rock/band music than classical music. I hope I can learn more here and share some of my findings with other beginners too.
One thing I really liked about the other piano forum was they have a beginner section and also some online recitals, 40 piece a year challenges, etc. I'm wondering if there's something like that here?

Reaction score
Thank you guys.

The "40 piece a year challenge", from what I understand, is participants volunteerily sign on in one dedicated thread at the beginning of the year, comitted to practice 40 piece of piano/keyboard music in the coming yr. It coyld be any level at participants' choice. Participants also need to keep updating the thread with their progress so that everyone is motivated to keep practicing.

Last edited:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Welcome to the gang.

We're approaching keyboards from a more catholic viewpoint, at many different levels of ability. So you'll get beginner discussions to more advanced discussions. But I haven't seen any sort of challenges like you mentioned.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
, comitted to practice 40 piece of piano/keyboard music in the coming yr. I
. Participants also need to keep updating the thread with their progress so that everyone is motivat
Pianos do not have an electronic link to computers so it would be difficult to show progress unless one "tape recorded" and copied it to youtube (perhaps).
Wow! 40 a year is a massive ask. That is one every 9 days non stop! Too pacey for me.
In your own time! Ray

Reaction score
Booked my first lesson for tomorrow, looking forward to it.

How have you progressed Ralph?
Great Pomster, let us know how your first lesson goes.

I'm following the gigajam school course, doing the 2nd exam for my LCM keyboard grade 5. I didn't sign on the "40 piece challenge" this yr, maybe next year. I did participate their online recital with one of my recorded pieces from Gigajam exercises.

Reaction score
Hi Ralph, I'm in the other forum too. I enjoy both. I'm taking classical lessons but interested in other tunes as well. I just joined here. Mb

Reaction score
Great Pomster, let us know how your first lesson goes.

I'm following the gigajam school course, doing the 2nd exam for my LCM keyboard grade 5. I didn't sign on the "40 piece challenge" this yr, maybe next year. I did participate their online recital with one of my recorded pieces from Gigajam exercises.

Well the lessons did'nt go as well as i'd hoped. The guy was'nt for me lets say.
I've block booked some lessons with another tutor, he's only a young guy (early 30's) so i'm hoping he'l look at it from my angle .... Here's hoping

On the plus side i've now got indepedance with my fingers, playing up and down the octaves without looking at the keyboard albeit fingering.

How does this reflect on your progress Ralph?

Reaction score
Well the lessons did'nt go as well as i'd hoped. The guy was'nt for me lets say.
I've block booked some lessons with another tutor, he's only a young guy (early 30's) so i'm hoping he'l look at it from my angle .... Here's hoping

On the plus side i've now got indepedance with my fingers, playing up and down the octaves without looking at the keyboard albeit fingering.

How does this reflect on your progress Ralph?
Yeah, sometimes it takes a few tries to find the right teacher..glad that you're getting more comfortable with keyboard. I think I saw another post of yours talking about Hanon exercises? Seems interesting and I'll look into it too after I'm done with my current grade.
I've been working on a swing piece, it's quite a challenge for me, two notes goes up and down at tempo of 150....but I think I got it...

Ask a Question