Beginner keyboard - no fancy synths

Reaction score
Hi,

I love playing piano pieces on my guitar. So I figured, why not learn them on the instrument they were meant for?

I am looking for a keyboard around the £80-£150 range. I don't need one with any effects buttons. Eventually I want to play stuff like Arvo Part - Spiegel Im Spiegel and Frédéric Chopin - Prelude in E-Minor. So I don't need something that plays a backing track.

I will also be learning in front of my PC. Would a MIDI keyboard be the most suitable choice for me? They seem to be cheaper as well.

Cheers

Reaction score
Thanks Y man and Victor.

I ordered the 88 key version, the M-Audio Keystation 88 ES. It cost me £128, well within my budget. :)

Reaction score
I received the keyboard yesterday.

It has all the notes written on it which I find quite handy. Was a bit difficult to get working at first, till I realised you have to select the keyboard in the options of whatever software you use.

Keyboard seems a lot quicker to learn than guitar. I'm not saying its easy, but so far I have learnt a few chords, the 12 bar blues and the first 25 seconds of moonlight sonata. In the same amount of time learning the guitar I could play the smoke on the water riff on one string.

I have been using Synthesia. It's just like guitar hero for the piano. Though I will be making a concerted effort to learn to read music next week.

Playing keyboard is really addictive! :D

Reaction score
Hej, hej Y_Man

you wrote:

Onya Zepp!
I'm in northern Europe, does that mean the following::D

1. A term used by Aussie's to express a job well done.
2. Aussie slang for "Thanks" or any other gratitude

goldi5210

The Y_man

Reaction score
Hej, hej Y_Man

you wrote:

I'm in northern Europe, does that mean the following::D

1. A term used by Aussie's to express a job well done.
2. Aussie slang for "Thanks" or any other gratitude

goldi5210

It's Australian for "Good On You".

Good on you > Good'On'Ya > Onya

:)

The Y-man

Ask a Question