Beginner Needs Advice

Reaction score
Hello all. I am very glad to have found this site.

I have never played keyboard. I am 59 years old. I played a few instruments as a kid but regrettably quit them all to play sports. I have on my bucket list a strong desire to become halfway decent at piano.

I have done a lot of online research and talked to a couple of people at local music stores about what type of keyboard I should buy. I have heard very, very differing opinions on 76 keys vs. 61 keys. The Casio WK 225 and the Yamaha YPG 235 have been recommended, more often the Casio.

Any recommendations from you would be much appreciated, on the 76 vs. 61 key issue, along with the specific model you think I should buy.

One music school owner told me the best thing to do is to rent a keyboard for about $30 a month in case I quit, and if I continue (which I certainly hope to) the rental money goes towards a purchase.

Thanks very much.

Reaction score
Your music school owner gave a perfect offer. You can't really loose on this one only if you quit but than it is only a bit. If you want to buy, I am a Yamaha-fan myself and they have a good range of good sounding lower end and mid range keyboards (let alone the flagships). If you are a total beginner and want to learn to play a keyboard, don't bother with more than 61 keys. More than enough and even most profs use them. If you are in for a more classical type of music than it is a different story, than I would look for a full size digital piano. (Casio?) All depending on your wishes, your taste and don't forget your budget.

Reaction score
Thanks, DickR, for taking the time to give me good advice.

I think renting a 61 key is the way to go. And if and when I buy, the money spent on renting goes towards the purchase.

One more question: Any specific beginner's book you recommend?

Thanks again.

Ask a Question