beginner needs help

Reaction score
I used to play the accordion, piano and guitar but I haven't played any of them for at least 10 years so very rusty. I sold my accordion eons ago and can't play the guitar any more as it messes up my fingers for typing on the computer on my job. I sold my piano years ago and don't have room for one anyway so just bought a Yamaha PSR-330 (no laughs please) -- I bought an older one and if I master this I'll buy a newer one later.

The instructions are very confusing. I can't figure out if it's possible for the keyboard to play the chords while I play the melody until I can remember how to do it myself. If that is possible, can someone tell me where to look in the instructions? I'm not sure if it's using the Harmony feature, the Auto Accompaniment, or using the Multi Pads, or something else and so far nothing I try is working.

I would appreciate some advice.

Reaction score
Hi Lorel,

If you go to psrtutorial.com you will find in the lessons section a world of info and answers on all your questions. Manuals of ALL brands of keyboards are a pain in the behind especial if you are new in the world of keyboards.
Discovering a keyboard is fantastic and you will not believe what's possible. We all needed help so don't hesitate to come back with questions.

DickR

Reaction score
Many of the PSR-330 demonstration songs, and songs provided on Music Cartridges
(see “Using Music Cartridges”, page 55) have more than 4 channels — as many
as 16, in fact. This function lets you assign any of the song’s channels to the PSR-330’s
MELODY tracks so they can be turned on or off for minus-one practice.
1 Select the MinusOne Parameter
While the SONG menu is selected, but no recording is in progress, use the SUB
MENU and [t] buttons to select the “MinusOne” parameter in the display. After
a few seconds “MinusOne” will change to “MinusCh”, the number of the current
minus-one channel will appear to the left of “MinusCh”, and a frame will appear
around the MELODY 1 song track icon.

Page 47 on the manual

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/emi/english/port/PSR330E.PDF

You can mute any track from songs, in your case you will have to find the melody track and mute it so you can play the melody and the keyboard plays the auto accomp.

Reaction score
I used to play the accordion, piano and guitar but I haven't played any of them for at least 10 years so very rusty. I sold my accordion eons ago and can't play the guitar any more as it messes up my fingers for typing on the computer on my job. I sold my piano years ago and don't have room for one anyway so just bought a Yamaha PSR-330 (no laughs please) -- I bought an older one and if I master this I'll buy a newer one later.

The instructions are very confusing. I can't figure out if it's possible for the keyboard to play the chords while I play the melody until I can remember how to do it myself. If that is possible, can someone tell me where to look in the instructions? I'm not sure if it's using the Harmony feature, the Auto Accompaniment, or using the Multi Pads, or something else and so far nothing I try is working.

I would appreciate some advice.

How about searching on Youtube?
I started playing 10 string pedal steel guitar a few years ago and got a lot of questions answered. Maybe the same can happen with your keyboard.
Hope you can figure it out ... of you live close to Camas WA... send me a pm message. Maybe I can help.

Ask a Question