Beginner Piano buy help!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been always interested to get a piano but never had the chance.. Recently moved into a bigger room, so decided to get one..

My budget is 1500 under, i am torn between Roland 401, 501 and 140R.. My understanding is 401 and 501 are same except for bluetooth.. I am not really sure if BT is worth it? specially the difference is about 400 dollars! Would love if people can point me to right direction.. I am willing to pay the difference if you all think it is justified.. Sitting in the middle is the 140R which seems to have all features of 501R but at a more reasonable price.. 300 dollar less...

What do you guys think?

Thanks alot!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Ask yourself first...

Do you WANT a Piano or do you want a Synth with a Piano Feel and Voices as well as Organs and Brass and Woodwinds and Synth and Orchestral sounds as well?

Do you want a sequencer to record your music? Do you want rhythm features for accompaniment as well? Do you want easy connectivity to a computer or not?

Do you want to be able to plug it into a professional sound system someday or are you happy with whatever crappy speakers they built into the cabinet until the day you chuck it? Forget about making professional grade recordings thru a headphone jack.

Do you want to buy a piece of living room furniture or do you want to buy a professional grade portable keyboard instrument? What manufacturers tend to do is stick $400 worth of electronics into a $500 cabinet and sell it with a 100% markup.

Once you've asked yourself and answered these questions take a look at the Roland Juno DS88.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Surely it is not a true piano but a digital keyboard that sounds like a piano.

Would you not be better looking at an arranger like the Korg PA700?

You would then have the best of all worlds

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually most arrangers lack key features. ie. 88 weighted hammer action keys.

If the OP is interested in learning to play true piano style then an arranger simply would not cut it.

I realize you're very happy with your arranger Biggles but arrangers are not the answer to everyone's musical needs.

The Juno DS88 btw, is a lightweight performance synth with 1500 voices, step sequencer, 88 weighted hammer action keys, great piano voices and comes in nicely under budget at $999 USD.

With the money he saves on the keyboard he can afford to buy a pair of primo Nearfield studio monitors.

Plus if he wants to record his music it has all the connectivity a person could ask for and with portability he might even want to start gigging with a band someday.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question