Beginner songwriter keyboard advice needed...

Reaction score
Beginner composer help needed

Hello everyone,

I am a beginner songwriter/singer and I am looking for something that I can l learn on and grow with as well. I want a keyboard that will re-enact the Grand Piano sound, as well as strings, brass, winds, organ, drums, percussion, bass, guitar, synth pads/leads, electro vibes, special effects, etc etc.

The type of music I want to compose is symphonic metal/rock, alternative, classical, gothic/celtic rock and film score-type material. Some examples of bands that will help in deciding a proper answer are Evanescence, Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sirenia, Trans-Siberian orchestra, etc etc. I love the sound of a rock band with an orchestra and choir backing it up, as well as other unique electronic and celtic/folk sounds, sometimes with a dark atmosphere and others as happy and ethereal.

I only want to spend so much on a keyboard and accessories...nothing too expensive nor too cheap in that I may wish I would've purchased something of better quality with more features. I have been to Guitar Center several times, researched tons of YouTube videos and keyboard websites and asked friends and family who have dabbled into music.

Here is a list of models I have already explored...

-Yamaha MM6/MM8

-Yamaha MOX6/MOX8

-Yamaha PSR series

-Yamaha P-95

-Yamaha DGX-640 Portable Grand

-Yamaha YPG-535 Portable Grand

-Yamaha YPT series

-Yamaha NP series

***I am open to other brands like Casio, Roland and Korg, but didn't find Korg and Roland to be very user friendly...any good Casio models out there that don't sound cheap?***

The features I am looking for are...

-Sound quality

-Keybed quality and performance

-Performance features (split, layering, arrpegiators/beats, etc.)

-Recording/composing abilities

-Real-piano sound and feel, if possible.

-Replication of classic, acoustic and electronic instruments and sounds

88 keys is what I am aiming for, but 76 or 61 key will be ok, hopefully.

If there any better models out there that will help me fulfill my goals, then I would be most happy to hear your input :)

Thank you,
LSS

Reaction score
FANTOM G8...need I say more?

Get out of the Yamaha trap...I think the user interface is more difficult than Roland. Especially with routing effects. Very small screen too, compared with the G's giant 8" screen that you can use a USB mouse with. Oh yeah.

Wanna talk action and real piano feel?

Roland was the very first to use real hammer action in their digital pianos, and the quality has not wavered from perfect. Just look at my equipment list.

If you like Yamaha's sounds, get the best of both worlds. Buy a Roland digital piano ( I have two ) or a G8, and then get a MOTIF rackmount synth. Midi it up to your Roland digital piano.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
I don't like the midi controller/soft synth route, I like the feel of a real keyboard so I can play piano, etc...

A Fantom is WAY out of my price range...I am a beginner but I want my keyboard to sound great, and I dont want to have that "if only I had bought a better keyboard" feeling.

I hope that doesn't sound rude, it's just a big investment and I want to get what's best for me.

The Y_man

Reaction score
LSS,

Other thing you need to consider is polyphony. You can run out of sounds real fast on a modern keyboard.

Also, waveform size in MB will be important if the sound quality is important to you.

The Y-man

Reaction score
LSS,

Other thing you need to consider is polyphony. You can run out of sounds real fast on a modern keyboard.

Also, waveform size in MB will be important if the sound quality is important to you.

The Y-man

Thank you for your response.

I would like at LEAST 64 polyphony. I'm not too familiar with the MB size...what range should I look for?

I am open to other brands outside of Yamaha...I just need to know where to start searching i.e. certain models.

Thank you! :)

-LSS

Ask a Question