Beginner wanting to learn synth/keyboard

Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently heard the song "interlude" by Attack Attack and became inspired to start playing electronic music. I always enjoyed listening to electronic music such as m83 and breathe carolina. After doing some research, ive concluded that the microkorg wouldnt be the best way for me to play this type of music beacause it doesnt have the sequencing function. I also found that the korg microstation might be the best thing I am looking for.

What do you guys think? I really want to start jamming to electronic music or maybe create some tracks by myself. I have no background in music expect for reading guitar tabs.

Reaction score
Hi Vince - can you play guitar? You can do some cool single line stuff with an electric guitar and the G2M guitar to midi converter. It's inexpensive compared to what was available just a few years back. You will NOT be able to chord using it - it's one note at a time - but it works. Plug it into a sound source that takes a midi input and hear what it sounds like/feels like to play. Hopefully you'll have a music shop that'll let you do this - don't buy anything in case you hate it.

If you can get your synth stuff going using your guitar skills (if you have some) - post back.

If you want to go down the keyboard sequencing route - have you a computer or access to one? Very few people I know are still on hardware sequencers.

Reaction score
Hi Vince - can you play guitar? You can do some cool single line stuff with an electric guitar and the G2M guitar to midi converter. It's inexpensive compared to what was available just a few years back. You will NOT be able to chord using it - it's one note at a time - but it works. Plug it into a sound source that takes a midi input and hear what it sounds like/feels like to play. Hopefully you'll have a music shop that'll let you do this - don't buy anything in case you hate it.

If you can get your synth stuff going using your guitar skills (if you have some) - post back.

If you want to go down the keyboard sequencing route - have you a computer or access to one? Very few people I know are still on hardware sequencers.

I pretty much want to go into keyboarding sequencing. Yes i do have a computer. Do you think should go with hardware synth? I tihnk the microstation has a usb plug that allows me to connect to a pc. Wont that allow me to do both softsynth and hardsynth?

Ask a Question