Beginners Advice

Reaction score
I am a bass player. My preferred instrument will always have 4 strings. However, I find myself needing to learn the keyboard. I've got neck, upper back and shoulder injuries that make slinging an instrument almost unbearable. The band I am the founder of cannot seem to keep a rhythm guitar player for some reason. So I want to fill the rhythm guitar hole with keyboard. Just chords. No fancy runs or anything like that. I have a keyboard. I have an amp. The amp even has a D.I. In the product information that came with my board is a statement that says to connect to outboard audio equipment I need to use a stereo cable. All I have is an instrument cable which is TS not TRS. Am I going to damage anything using a TS cable until I get the TRS cable?

Reaction score
Hey Rob. That sounds weird. What sort of keyboard and amp do you have? I ONLY use TS cables.

It's a Casio LK-260 and a Kustom KBA65 combo. Not soloist at Carnage Hall equipment, but good enough to play the Boar's Nest with. The manual says to use a stereo plug, which to my understanding is TRS.

Reaction score
It's a Casio LK-260 and a Kustom KBA65 combo. Not soloist at Carnage Hall equipment, but good enough to play the Boar's Nest with. The manual says to use a stereo plug, which to my understanding is TRS.
Just a had a look at your manual and now I understand the issue. This keyboard isn't really designed with on stage use in mind therefore your headphone jack doubles as your output jack. So yes you'd need a TRS out and TS in to your bass combo amp. I use similar for getting my iPad into my mixer when I play.

I'm not sure what the consequence of using a normal TS to TS cable would be on your gear, other than it won't sound right. One of the other guys on here will no doubt possess the wisdom I lack!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Using a TS plug in a TRS Headphone Jack would effectively short one output to ground eventually causing permanent damage to the output drivers of the keyboard.

What you'll need to plug this safely into a line level amplifier is both the correct adapter cable and a DI Box to attenuate the levels to a safe level for the amp's inputs.

Here's what you'll need.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-201-inch-Insert-Cable/dp/B000068O1N

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ULTRA-DI-DI20-Professional-2-Channel/dp/B000CCSWQA

You'll also require a couple of standard XLR female to whatever (TS or XLR) to input from the DI Box to the Mixing Board or Amp depending on whatever inputs it accepts.

That should be all you need.

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Using a TS plug in a TRS Headphone Jack would effectively short one output to ground eventually causing permanent damage to the output drivers of the keyboard.

What you'll need to plug this safely into a line level amplifier is both the correct adapter cable and a DI Box to attenuate the levels to a safe level for the amp's inputs.

Here's what you'll need.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-STP-201-inch-Insert-Cable/dp/B000068O1N

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-ULTRA-DI-DI20-Professional-2-Channel/dp/B000CCSWQA

You'll also require a couple of standard XLR female to whatever (TS or XLR) to input from the DI Box to the Mixing Board or Amp depending on whatever inputs it accepts.

That should be all you need.

Gary ;)

Seeing as how the amplifier has a built-in DI I should be able to simply use a TRS cable from the keyboard to the amp and then line out from the amp to the mixer. No need for a second DI. Correct?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Seeing as how the amplifier has a built-in DI I should be able to simply use a TRS cable from the keyboard to the amp and then line out from the amp to the mixer. No need for a second DI. Correct?

Essentially yes. That is correct. A TRS to Stereo TS Output Cable such as the one shown should be all you need. The Amazon Link I posted lists the same cable in different lengths between 1 and 3 meters. Select the one appropriate for your needs.

One caveat however. Should you encounter hum or other grounding noise issues, then a battery powered DI Box such as I linked would probably eliminate that issue.

As Paul pointed out earlier, the LK Casios are among their lowest tier of products and not really intended for any sort of professional stage use.

Good luck :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I realize the limitations. However, it's a play what I got situation and at the moment I have no desire to get a different board. Thanks for your help and advice.

Maybe I'm missing something . . .

The headphone jack on the Casio is a _stereo_ jack -- it puts out two _independent_ signals, one for the left channel (L) and one for the right channel (R). Most keyboards will put more bass-key signal into the L channel, and more treble-key signal into the R channel.

So, to play it properly, you must have _two_ input channels to the amp. As Gary says:

happyrat1 said:

That "a couple of" is one cable for L, and one cable for R, into two _independent_ amp inputs.

Or, get a simple mixer (e.g. Behringer Xenyx 502), mix the two together, and feed that mixed (L+R) signal to the amp. I don't think that Gary's suggested DI box will do that.

There _might_ be a way to tell the Casio to put out a monophonic signal, with "L" and "R" being identical -- check the manual. If it can do that, one amp input is enough.

It's also possible that output from the Casio is _always_ monophonic, with the "L" and "R" channels identical. That makes some "rotary Leslie effects" (where output changes from L to R, and back, impossible. Check the manual.

. Charles

Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something . . .

The headphone jack on the Casio is a _stereo_ jack -- it puts out two _independent_ signals, one for the left channel (L) and one for the right channel (R). Most keyboards will put more bass-key signal into the L channel, and more treble-key signal into the R channel.

So, to play it properly, you must have _two_ input channels to the amp. As Gary says:

That "a couple of" is one cable for L, and one cable for R, into two _independent_ amp inputs.

Or, get a simple mixer (e.g. Behringer Xenyx 502), mix the two together, and feed that mixed (L+R) signal to the amp. I don't think that Gary's suggested DI box will do that.

There _might_ be a way to tell the Casio to put out a monophonic signal, with "L" and "R" being identical -- check the manual. If it can do that, one amp input is enough.

It's also possible that output from the Casio is _always_ monophonic, with the "L" and "R" channels identical. That makes some "rotary Leslie effects" (where output changes from L to R, and back, impossible. Check the manual.

. Charles

I understand what you are saying. The manual says that to connect to outboard audio equipment to use a "stereo adapter plug" from the headphone jack to my audio equipment. I should be able to do that by either using a 1/4" TRS "Y" connector and doing as you suggest going to 2 different channels, I can use a 1/4" TRS male to XLR male adapter, or use a 1/4" TRS to 1/4" TS cable. I like option 2 because of the simplicity, but 1&3 would allow me to be independent of the mixer if I so chose.

Ask a Question