Beginner's Keyboard Suggestion

Reaction score
I am not sure why, but I feel weird asking for advice since I am a beginner and I am embarrassed - not sure why.
I am in Toronto, and would like to purchase a keyboard that has sounds similar to the Vox Continental Organ/Gibson G101 for sounds similar to the Doors.
My budget is around $250-300 - as I was looking at a used Casio WK-3000 but its hard to find.

My Costco sells these models
Casio WK-245DXAB
Casio LK-265

Thanks for listening - I greatly appreciate it.

Reaction score
Welcome to the wonderful world of music.

No problem asking for advice, we all need it at some stage no matter what our experience is.

Your Vox Continental new is some $2000 Canadian and personally I think that you have zero chance of finding one anywhere near your budget.

Casio make some pretty good keyboards and for $300 you could get a new CT-X800 from a dedicated music store like Long and McQuade.

Ray Manzarek started on a Wurlitzer then moved to a Vox with a Fender Rhodes Bass piano on top of the Continental. So depending upon which song you want to recreate these are the sounds. That said, it will require a lot of time, effort and practice to get to a good standard, best wishes in achieving your goal.

This thread may also help you understand what is available and the differences.

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestions and your replies - I really appreciate it. I'm going to purchase the CT-X800.
The Yamaha Reface YC looks really like an amazing organ - something I didn't know existed. Reading the reviews for the Yamaha, you can get amazing organ sounds from classic rock. I'll try the Casio for a few weeks and I can always return it hopefully (from Long & McQuade) if I don't like it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
This is a much better deal.

It's really not worth it to buy a Casio new unless it's a super deal like Boxing Day 50% off.

One advantage of the WK series over the CT-X series is that it has real DIN MIDI ports. (Sooner or later you'll need them)

And the other advantage is 76 keys instead of 61. The extra octave really let's you get your creative freak on.

It might be tricky to audition with social distancing but I'm guessing the guy is desperate to close a deal for the same reason.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
This is a much better deal.

It's really not worth it to buy a Casio new unless it's a super deal like Boxing Day 50% off.

One advantage of the WK series over the CT-X series is that it has real DIN MIDI ports. (Sooner or later you'll need them)

And the other advantage is 76 keys instead of 61. The extra octave really let's you get your creative freak on.

It might be tricky to audition with social distancing but I'm guessing the guy is desperate to close a deal for the same reason.

Gary ;)

I saw that post a few days ago, but then sort of forgot about it. I should be buying used anyway.
Does the wk7600 come with a power adapter? What should I look for when I purchase it?
edit: I see it comes with a Power Adapter, I inquired with the seller... let's see what happens. Thanks for your help..

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
There's a VOX Continental for sale for $750 CDN in the GTA as well.

If you really wanna get your Doors sound you couldn't ask for better.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Another route to organ sounds that will get you going which will be way cheaper is via software.

If you have an iPad then a $30 App called Galileo 2 gives you a drawbar organ that includes presets for various Vox and Farfisa organs.

Connect an iPad via the camera adaptor to the USB port on a keyboard or MIDI controller keyboard and play.

PS
There are dozens and dozens of musical instrument and learning Apps available

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I saw that post a few days ago, but then sort of forgot about it. I should be buying used anyway.
Does the wk7600 come with a power adapter? What should I look for when I purchase it?
edit: I see it comes with a Power Adapter, I inquired with the seller... let's see what happens. Thanks for your help..

There's a couple of rules of thumb when buying used.

!) Yes it should come with a power adapter.

2) Run a quick test of every key, button, slider and controller to make sure all are working.

3) To the best of your ability test all the connectors for problems. This includes audio outs, MIDI ports, USB and headphone outs.

4) Use your best judgement when evaluating the seller's story. Was the unit constantly moved from gig to gig or did it sit comfortably under a dust cover in a home studio? Was it played by small children with greasy fingers? Did the owner have pets? Cat hair is deadly to musical keyboards. Dog fur ain't much better. Was it ever dropped?

5) Is the seller throwing in any extra goodies such as a gig bag or a stand and stool?

6) ALWAYS remember the price is negotiable and don't be afraid to walk away if a deal smells funny in any way.

I realize that with current social distancing rules some of these are difficult to implement right now, but remember, these deals pop up on Kijiji on an almost daily basis so if one doesn't fit the bill then wait for the next one that may be even better.

Patience and good judgment are the keys.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There's a couple of rules of thumb when buying used.

!) Yes it should come with a power adapter.

2) Run a quick test of every key, button, slider and controller to make sure all are working.

3) To the best of your ability test all the connectors for problems. This includes audio outs, MIDI ports, USB and headphone outs.

4) Use your best judgement when evaluating the seller's story. Was the unit constantly moved from gig to gig or did it sit comfortably under a dust cover in a home studio? Was it played by small children with greasy fingers? Did the owner have pets? Cat hair is deadly to musical keyboards. Dog fur ain't much better. Was it ever dropped?

5) Is the seller throwing in any extra goodies such as a gig bag or a stand and stool?

6) ALWAYS remember the price is negotiable and don't be afraid to walk away if a deal smells funny in any way.

I realize that with current social distancing rules some of these are difficult to implement right now, but remember, these deals pop up on Kijiji on an almost daily basis so if one doesn't fit the bill then wait for the next one that may be even better.

Patience and good judgment are the keys.

Gary ;)

Thanks to everyone for their replies - a huge organ would be awesome in my tiny apartment lol. And an original Vox Continental would great, but that's a few years away.

Gary - thanks for everything - I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for a wk-6600 or a 7600. I think it has the sounds that I would like to replicate.

Reaction score
Another route to organ sounds that will get you going which will be way cheaper is via software.

If you have an iPad then a $30 App called Galileo 2 gives you a drawbar organ that includes presets for various Vox and Farfisa organs.

Connect an iPad via the camera adaptor to the USB port on a keyboard or MIDI controller keyboard and play.

PS
There are dozens and dozens of musical instrument and learning Apps available
I do have a 2019 iPad 10.2 (non-pro) in an unopened box that I should use. I'll do some research on a midi keyboard and see if it works with a non-pro iPad.

Reaction score
I can answer the question, yes.

My iPad is near on ten years old and will run all the Apps in the iPad App store.

You will need an Apple Camera Adaptor, the type with both a USB and Lightning sockets. Plus a USB cable with A & B plugs, these are the standard type used with a printer.

You will have Garage Band free with the iPad, this is a DAW.

Additionally check out

Galileo 2

Music Studio

All Korg Apps

Arturia ISEM

For learning check out

Flowkey

Skroove

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Advantages of owning a dedicated synth or keyboard over soft synths:

1) When you want to play just hit a button and go where inspiration takes you. No wasted time assembling your rig, plugging in controllers and speakers to get setup.

2) Keyboards have some fundamental resale value. Soft synths have zero resale value.

3) Casio Keyboard can function perfectly well as a controller for soft synths should you ever feel the need to expand in that direction.

4) You don't have to worry about frequent updates breaking your software, firmware updates for hardware are few and far between.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Besides, the WK for $200 is as much as you'd end up paying for a voiceless controller anyway. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I totally agree with Gary.

Go for a keyboard with onboard voices, amp and speakers as the basis of a system.

Add the Camera Adaptor and a couple of Apps on the iPad and you are still well within your budget with a system you can grow into.

Do remember you will need a keyboard stand and stool at some time, trying to use a table and chair will not put your arms and hands at a very good position.

Plus do add a sustain pedal, again these are not to expensive, M Audio SP2 is a popular unit.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Gary - thanks for everything - I appreciate it. I'll keep an eye out for a wk-6600 or a 7600. I think it has the sounds that I would like to replicate.

I'd jump on that WK-7600 I listed if I were you. It's less than half the retail price without tax and the prices don't get any better.

Because of Covid some people are desperate to close a sale.

The Vox Continental I listed is also pretty much the deal of the century. They're a gigging band and they had to downsize because of the virus scare closing down venues. At least that's what I read between the lines of the ad.

These prices are a bargain hunter's dream or a seller's nightmare depending on how you look at it.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'd jump on that WK-7600 I listed if I were you. It's less than half the retail price without tax and the prices don't get any better.

Because of Covid some people are desperate to close a sale.

The Vox Continental I listed is also pretty much the deal of the century. They're a gigging band and they had to downsize because of the virus scare closing down venues. At least that's what I read between the lines of the ad.

These prices are a bargain hunter's dream or a seller's nightmare depending on how you look at it.

Gary ;)

There's no reply for the wk7600 listed on Kijiji. I wanted to grab it this weekend since it looks the perfect fit for me for a beginner's keyboard. I remember years ago people talking about the wk3200 and this is just the successor I take it.

I'm going to keep looking for a used or deeply discounted wk 6600 or 7600.... But I am tempted to purchase a ctx800 from Long's and try it for a few weeks, but I'm not sure what the main difference is between the wk and ctx, both seem to have midi support (most do anyhow). And both are dedicated, larger keyboards - I assume the wk has a lot more on device settings and sounds :since it's almost $200 more
edit
( I just reread your comment above explaining the difference, so my hunch is I'll wait for a deal on a wk or find a used one. Seller on Kijiji still isn't replying for past 2 days so, another one will come)

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Casio models:-

WK 7600 is a 76 key unit.

The CT-X 700/800 is a 61 key unit with Casio’s new AIX sound engine.

61 keys is pretty well the standard number of keys with an Arranger type keyboard and they will be more than sufficient to be able to progress up to a very good level. Your idea of buying new is imo the way to go, MIDI via USB to your computer and iPad will be more than good enough for quite a while. I presently only have a digital piano and it connects to my iPad via a USB cable and the Apps there give me all the additional instrument sounds that I currently want.

Standard MIDI is via 5 pin DIN type sockets that requires an interface unit in the chain to connect it to a computer, or MIDI can also be just via USB.

Reaction score
Hey guys, great info here and I’m hoping and I can jack this thread for an additional question to something the experts mentioned.

what are your thoughts in cheating and using Ableton/GB on the computer (I don’t use iPad because there isn’t an app for the Launchkey) to expand the sound and capabilities of a cheap arranger (ct-x 700/800) as opposed to hardware?

Ask a Question