Beginner's Luck - Need help please!

Reaction score
Hello everyone and please forgive the post length,
Recently I was gifted what I'm learning is an amazing keyboard in the Roland Juno-6 from my mother. I had been interested in something diffferent, entry-level synth type, but she happened on this Roland and struck a great deal and I recieved this amazing instrument to my complete dismay. I have never played keyboard, hence my initial interest in entry-level, but am musically inclined in the form of 16years experience with guitar and have always wanted to learn keys. So, I guess what I'm looking for is some tips on where/how to even start with this intimidating beast?? Any beginner tips on learning keyboard sans music-reading would be appreciated too! I'm currently downloading the owners manual and I have found some cool youtube tutorials.
Any recommendations would be really appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
ARI

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/good-tutorial-links.24556/

Congrats and welcome aboard.

The Juno 6 was an iconic instrument with 80's synth bands like Devo and Vangelis and Jean Michel Jarre.

Consider yourself lucky to get to start out with such a prestigious set of keys.

BTW learn to read music. You can skate by with tabs with guitars but keys require a solid understanding of music theoryl.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Applicez le Google Translate pour trouver le definition de la mot "Sans" en Francais.

:D :D :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Just copy and paste and select the to and from languages.
I did that . . . It makes no sense to me . May as well be French:D
"SANS" From what I googled tells me "anything not French"

Getting back to Ari's original posting here ..
Awesome machine you have there. You have music experience in guitar so I think things will just fall into place for you. At first you feel "overwhelmed" but just take your time and play with all the features. You can convert your guitar tabs to piano chords to start with and play your familiar tunes.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Sans translates to "Without" or "None".

What the original poster was asking was if he could learn keys without reading sheet music.

Like I said afterward, you need at least rudimentary grounding in music theory and the ability to at least read the staff.

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hey! I just had a look at this.
Does this thing actually play music?
All I can hear are synth noises.
for example . . Can it play "somewhere over the rainbow" in a grand piano mode?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It's not a ROMpler Ray. It's a vintage analogue synth from the 80's.

And yes, if you can play keys you can simulate a piano and play Somewhere Over the Rainbow :D :D :D

And when the hell do you get to sleep anyway in Australia? Idle hands are the Devil's Playground :D

I swear you and Paul are almost as pathological a pair of insomniacs as I am :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I swear you and Paul are almost as pathological a pair of insomniacs as I am :D
Lol. Its saturday just after noon.
When do you get your shut eye? We always thought you were the zombie.
Btw the only reason i am texting you now is because i have got a shocking virus and got no energy to do more constructive stuff.:(

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Me? I'm a pathological forum whore and raging insomniac.

But right now Midnight is still an hour away and I've been doing some last minute packing before my big move next month.

I got me a DEE-Lux apartment in the sky-y-yieee/. 9th floor with a spectacular view of the Toronto Skyline. :D

And I think I have a buyer for my Kurzweil, so that's hopefully 80 lbs of keyboard and case I won't have to haul with me to the new place.

I'm planning to downgrade to a good stage piano and maybe have enough left over for a Deepmind 12 when they're finally released :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My mixer has a headphone jack :p

And from what I've seen so far the building is pretty well soundproofed. :)

And best of all!!! Nary a cockroach to be seen anywhere!!! :D

Gary ;)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
The last time I went to Toronto, was in 2013. I, stayed on the twentieth floor of the Four Seasons, facing the tower. You're right, Gary, Toronto is magnificent, perhaps, in this moment, is the best city to live in. A fantastic place, full of life, with countless things to see and do, that never stops, and where you can walk quietly at night. Good for you.:cool:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I have to admit, Toronto is a decent city in world where every other city has gone either under or just plain nuts.

It's also an expensive city. I'm looking at $1510 a month rent including parking. But that's pretty much the going rate in any part of Southern Ontario. Even a basement apartment goes for $1200 here.

Montreal is also a great city and much cheaper to live in, but I've lived there half my life and know from experience the language politics and the city's infrastructure will never be fixed. :p

And while I'd love to live in Vancouver, rents are even crazier on the West Coast.

So hopefully this will be a decent place to call home for at least the next decade or two. ;)

Gary ;)

Ask a Question